Windows 7 Access Forbidden Files

Cardinal System

Honorable Member
I was checking things out on my computer and discovered the "Folder and search options" under the "Organize" drop-down menu in windows explorer. It was then when I finally found how to view all the invisible files like the Cookies dir, or desktop.ini. I wanted to open the Cookies dir and look at the files contained in it, but it when I double clicked the folder it said "You have been denied permission to access this folder". I opened the "Security" tab under the folder's properties, and granted myself full control and ownership, but still couldn't access it. The one thing under permissions I could not grant to myself was "Special Permissions".

I think to access the directory, I need the special permissions. If this is true, then my question is: how do grant myself special permissions? Else, my question is: How do I access forbidden files?

The Cookies folder is really a junction that points to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCookies Junctions are used for compatibility with legacy programs that are hard coded to specific locations. You cant open junctions in explorer, but programs can read and write to them.

Back