Windows 10 Accessing computer on Network

Digger

Honorable Member
I have a small network all running windows 10. When I am on one of the computers I can see the other computer listed under network.

If I click on the listed computer's name it asks me for the computers credentials. I know the only user on that computer is Administrator and I assume the password is the same as the password I use to log into the computer when I first turn it on.

When I try this it does not let me in. I have tried the computer name for user name I have tried Administrator and still nothing.

When I look on the computer I am trying to access under user profiles there is only one profile and it says Administrator.

What am I missing? Why can I not access the unit?

Thanks in advance for your help.

When you're working in a small network without centralized account management (AD DS) you need to specify the user in the form DOMAIN\USER where in DOMAIN will be the computername. So if you're on COMPUTER1 and you want to connect to COMPUTER2 who has an account named Administrator. You would use COMPUTER2\Administrator for the username and the password for the Administrator account on COMPUTER2

When you're working in a small network without centralized account management (AD DS) you need to specify the user in the form DOMAIN\USER where in DOMAIN will be the computername. So if you're on COMPUTER1 and you want to connect to COMPUTER2 who has an account named Administrator. You would use COMPUTER2\Administrator for the username and the password for the Administrator account on COMPUTER2

Thank you for the quick response.
I went to the computer I am trying to access and looked up computer name. It returned the name as NJC****. I asked the user what password they use to access computer when it first boots.

I then went to another computer into networks clicked on the name and when then credentialing pop up appears I wrote NJC***\Administrator then the password that is used to access the computer when first booted.

It did not work. I am not sure where to go from here. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Hi Digger and welcome to the forum :up:

We've been seeing this particular problem quite a bit recently, and it's solution is that you must use W10 HOMEGROUPS networking, as many people who setup computer sharing with earlier versions of Windows prior to Win7, for instance XP and Vista, are using manual folder/volume sharing without a Server (as Neemo referenced in his post), is totally dependent on your networking skills being at least Intermediate to Advanced level to accomplish on 3 or more computers in this manner. The more computers, the more difficult it is to keep everything running, as any change you make such as rebuilding one of your computers on the network due to a crashed hard drive or Motherboard is going to zero out all the folder/volume shares you made, and you have to rip out all those shares and put them all in again--ON EACH AND EVERY PC ON THE LAN!! This can be very time consuming and frustrating, even for us experts, and each time one of your network PCs crashes or malfunctions, you have to do it over and over and over again from scratch! :headache: Not a lot of fun. That's why most small companies hire at least a part time network administrator to manage a small LAN. Microsoft simplified all of this back in 2009 with the advent of Homegroups. If you do NOT have a server-based domain network, this is the only way to go for most small networks with <10 PCs or a small home office network, again <10 PCs.

Take a look at this post I did a week or two ago, where the User has very similar problems accessing his remote computers on his LAN. He applied the fix I linked to-and he's been up and running ever since; thanks to Microsoft Homegroups. Here's that link for you:
Network PC Needs Password

That should fix it for you!:up:

Best of luck, :usa: :encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

yeah homegroup would be the "much less technical" route to go :) I had to test this out(the \\computer name method) on a Win 10 box and it would only work when I shared resources.

Last edited:
yeah homegroup would be the "much less technical" route to go :) I had to test this out(the \\computer name method) on a Win 10 box and it would only work when I shared resources.

I had this problem too, even before the Aniv. Update, but that was a one way problem. One PC could read/write to the other but the other PC couldn't read/write to the other. Have 4 PC's, 2 are backup, and only one of those running W10, but both active PC's running W10 can read/write to those.

NOT using HomeGroup either.

Worked on it a few days ago. I forgot the exact details, but it had to with PROPERTIES and PERMISSIONS on the shares. Since I share whole drives I went to the ones that didn't have access and I had to ADD in EVERYONE to the SECURITY tab's GROUP OF USER NAMES. That was missing from the ones that couldn't be seen over the network.

If you do NOT see EVERYONE there, click on EDIT, and then do an ADD and then search for EVERYONE and add it.

Worked for me. At least I'm pretty sure that is what I had to do? First time you try to access the share you didn't have access to before you'll be asked for the p/w of the user. Enter that and it is saved and access is allowed from then on.

As long as you understand that if you apply the EVERYONE group, anyone can access the resources on that given system. If you're ok with the security risk then go for it. I'd personally create a local account for each user and assign only permissions to that user on the share. That way only authorized people can access the resource, you can limit by account what you want them accessing and you can audit the access to the resources.

As long as you understand that if you apply the EVERYONE group, anyone can access the resources on that given system. If you're ok with the security risk then go for it.

Yes, just my wife and I, so we're OK. Usually it is just me that needs to transfer files from her system or do something on her system and save it on mine.

Router has a GUEST ID that others can connect to which helps. At least I think they can't see my LAN shares?

Someone would need to connect to your network to be able to see and access the shares.

Back
Top Bottom