Windows Vista Admin Vs Standard user account..creation and installed programs

Brando

Windows ( in the case Vista home Premium a system i am restoring on a VAIO for a friend).
Setting it up with an Admin account and a standard user account.
a Few questions:
When is the best time to add the standard user account for everyday use?

Here is why i ask, i notice that sometimes certain program install on on side but don't show on the other and vice versa.

Another thing Ive noticed is that on the standard user side, but dont want the icon on the desktop and delete it( after entering admin password) the icon also disappears form the Admin side desktop.
How do i keep separate control of each desktop(icons and programs etc) without affecting the other??

Lastley i notice that if i have CCleaner installed, if i try to run it on the standard user side, (as Admin) it runs, but it doesn't seem to the recognize the startup program list for the standard user, it see the start-up for the ADMIN...i cant run it as a standard user because it requires administrator level permissions...( i dont wnat certain things starting as standard user but do want them starting as admin.)
how do i resolve this?

Hope that made sense.

Hi Brando,
sorry it seems your post has been missed. Do you still want some help?

While the machine i was working on is up and running, may someone can explain my original concerns.
Thanks

Take the Ccleaner scenario. If you install Ccleaner when in the Admin account then accessing via any other account will need an admin prompt (run as admin). You should be able to install it via the normal users account and run it from there. Obviously if you install a copy under the admin account and then again under the user account things could get confusing so just choose one account and stick with that. (usually that'll be a normal user account as really the admin account is only for special occasions and should be disabled as soon as it's finished with.).

So really when i re install windows, create the password for the admin account then create the standard user and install all programs i need from within that account.
Obviously Windows is going to ask me for admin level password to install, but then that program will recognize the standard user account. BUT then if i need that program to recognize the settings/run in the ADMIN or another standard user account..for instance to stop start up items does that program need to be installed for each user?

Why do you want to install an admin account when first installing the machine? Just install a normal user account and if you need any further accounts just create them as Guest accounts.
The usually hidden admin account shouldn't really be used under normal circumstances and if ever created should be removed as soon as it's finished with.
As for software/apps. Just install them under the normal user account created when windows was first installed. You'll notice that some installs will have a section that says install for you only or all users. Just make sure that all users is ticked but as long as the original account is a normal everyday one then there shouldn't be an issue.

Ill take a look at the link, but the Admin account i was talking about is the account that is created when windows starts for the first time, once i create a standard user i cant delete the "admin" or whatever i choose to call it.

Yeah sorry Brando it's me, I was getting confused with the hidden admin account which is something different to the account created when first installing the os.

If the link doesn't help much or you still have a question post back.

Back