Windows 8 After installing Win 8.1, Action Center tells me to update Backup Settings

Still Active

Extraordinary Member
Everything went smoothly when I updated my desktop computer to Win 8.1. However, I now have a persistent message in the Action Center (see attached). It tells me to update my backup settings, but if I click the "Set up backup" button, nothing happens. I understand that the Image Backup tool was deleted in Win 8.1. I cannot find any setting in Win 8.1 that impacts this message. Is there a way I can make it go away?
Backup.JPG

Click on File History @ the lower left corner. There's an ignore messages about this or words to that effect.

For me, after migrating to 8.1 the backup optics just continued as per the status quo.

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

Ok, here you go...

> Action Ctr
Top left of its window Clk "Change Action Ctr Settings
Under "Maintenance Messages" uncheck "Windows Backup"
Hit OK

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

If you wish to continue with the automatic backup service, you might try the alternative method:

Control Panel - System _ Advanced system settings - System protection Tab - . Set up your configuration there. The message should then go away.
Otherwise, you could find that you cannot uncheck the item. Is this occurring all the time, or only if you have an external drive attached?

I installed from an RTM ISO, which I think may have produced different end results. But, if Drews suggestion does not work, this is what Microsoft Technet Libraries offer on the subject:

A registry key has deliberately been omitted from Windows 8.1 upgrade. So first, you must recreate it. If you are not familiar with editing the registry, do not attempt this. But, in all circumstances, make an export of your registry before proceeding.

Create this (WindowsBackup) key first:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsBackup

Under WindowsBackup, right click in in the right hand window, and create a new DWORD named, DisableMonitoring, and set its value to ‘1‘.
You can then exit from the registry.

If this key is set to 0, or if this key does not exist, then Windows Backup will display notifications to the end user to configure Windows Backup.
A note from the same source:
If this key is set to 1, and an end-user has not already configured Windows Backup, then notifications to configure Windows Backup will not be displayed to the end user in the Action Center, or when a user attaches an external hard disk.

In my own case, with Windows 8, I had File History turned on & pointed to an external drive. After the upgrade to Windows 8.1, I had to do nothing, the status quo had been maintained, File History was, still, on and everything just kept right on going as it had been (already) organized. The only thing I did, after the migration was create a System Image which was, also, sent to the same external drive.

Just thought I'd mention this for whatever it might be worth.

And thanks, David, for what you have added.

Oh, crap, I just see I have repeated myself... sorry bout that

Geeesh, what my point really was (supposed to be) is cus of the above I didn't get Backup messages or 'notifications' for Backup, following moving to 8.1, because it was, already, Turned On (as of 8.0). There, that's better

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

Last edited:
I agree, Drew. The many problems users are having is something that is baffling me a lot. You may have read my post on another forum we share. Since posting, I have tried the upgrade route of Windows 8.
Windows 8.1, whether an upgrade or fresh install from the rtm, was all in order - it required no input from me for any of the default facilities , assuming I was happy with those options.

Last edited:
Oh, you mean it's baffling to read about any 'hiccups'. Yes, same here. I, really, couldn't imagine anything more smooth & seamless. There was a time, in the past, when we discouraged using "Update" paths or approaches and recommended "Clean Installs". When we dealt w/ countless people coming to us w/ countless issues that we would so often say rooted back to having done updates instead of cleans. But, this offering from MS is just plain sweet & impressive. Bit like falling off a wet log in your bare feet. I spoke of it to a fellow IT Pro, recently, as referencing it back to "Zero Touch" deployments due to the extreme lack of hands on 'work', human input or fussing about required. It mystifies me, too.

Not only in terms of backup settings but, overall, didn't have to do anything.... just tossed it in & carried on like nothing ever happened. Besides enjoying the perks that came w/ it.

Cheers,
Drew

290_Windows8_1.jpg

Hey Guys,

I used file history on 8 but since 8.1 upgrade It has stopped backing up my Work folder/library any ideas how to add a folder to the backup history?

Regards

Basher

Might be a better idea if you start a new thread, Basher. It will, maybe, draw more response

Back