Windows 10 All of my USB ports have stopped working.

Recently, my USB ports stopped working entirely. They don't recognize my USB mouse or printer as well as any other USB connector I've tried.

I've been scouring the internet looking for solutions and every time they don't fix the problem. I am restricted to using the touchpad.

I would be open to anything that could help and I REALLY don't want to take it in to get fixed for a price that would cost more then to get a new computer.

Please help.

i have the exact same issue. in fact also when i try to restart my computer, or shut down then turn back on, the pc stays on a black screen with the spinning windows loading thing indefinitely if anything is plugged into a usb port. once i unplug whatever is plugged in, it will boot. this error is reproducible and effects both usb 2 and 3.0 ports. however my LAN port is still functional. this error started happening last evening (11/9/2016).
i am using an acer aspire laptop, and i have already made sure all my drivers are up to date, and tried booting in safe mode. i have not installed anything within the last week either, and dont have anything that isnt well known to be trusted installed.
using windows 10 64 bit. all latest updates installed, and ran a full computer scan and have no viruses

Provided you have verified all your drivers are up-to-date try the following
  • Open Device Manager
  • Expand "Universal Serial Bus Controllers"
  • Right click each "Generic USB Hub" device and select uninstall
  • After uninstalling all of them right click on your computer name at the top in Device Manager and select "Scan for hardware changes", this should reinstall the USB hub devices
  • Test usb devices

Back