Windows 7 Apple @ WWDC keynote: Windows 7 is Just another version of Vista

I'm gonna poke a hornets nest here

Since this thread is now Apple vs Microsoft, I would point out something that is seldom mentioned.

If Steve Jobs were as smart a businessman as Bill Gates is, he would be as rich as Bill Gates and Bill Gates would not be nearly as rich as he is. In the beginning, when personal computer manufacturing companies were getting started, they all wanted to use the Apple OS. Steve Jobs fought tooth and nail (successfully) to prevent this from happening. His policy was, "If you want my OS, you buy my computer!" Bill Gates was eager to sell his OS to anyone that would buy it. As a result, every new computer manufacturer sold their computers with Bill Gates' OS. Since DOS, then Windows, was what was installed on all the mass marketed computers, that was the OS that the majority of applications were developed for. Even schools that initially were "Apple Territory" soon migrated to Microsoft products. This is probably the biggest factor in the success of Microsoft and relatively less success of Apple. Had Apple sold their OS to builders early on, Microsoft would have just been "another software company".

Don't nobody throw rocks at me now, I am sitting in my bunker completely shielded.

Since this thread is now Apple vs Microsoft, I would point out something that is seldom mentioned.

If Steve Jobs were as smart a businessman as Bill Gates is, he would be as rich as Bill Gates and Bill Gates would not be nearly as rich as he is. In the beginning, when personal computer manufacturing companies were getting started, they all wanted to use the Apple OS. Steve Jobs fought tooth and nail (successfully) to prevent this from happening. His policy was, "If you want my OS, you buy my computer!" Bill Gates was eager to sell his OS to anyone that would buy it. As a result, every new computer manufacturer sold their computers with Bill Gates' OS. Since DOS, then Windows, was what was installed on all the mass marketed computers, that was the OS that the majority of applications were developed for. Even schools that initially were "Apple Territory" soon migrated to Microsoft products. This is probably the biggest factor in the success of Microsoft and relatively less success of Apple. Had Apple sold their OS to builders early on, Microsoft would have just been "another software company".

Don't nobody throw rocks at me now, I am sitting in my bunker completely shielded.

A point well made ;)

A very good way to look at it.. ;)

To make the above point easy to remember I create a picture in my mind :rolleyes: So there is Apple doing very well :)
Look out the windows as you ride along and there is Billy boy coming up fast !

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Soon to be a long way out in front :D

Mind That Bird

Microsoft with Windows 7 is sort of like Mind That Bird.... likes to come on strong. However, after using Snow Leopard with 4 Gigs of RAM, I can tell you that the Mac folks are NOT going to switch to PC's.

uhh... ohhh

Just another opinion... but,

Being a user of multiple environments... I think the premium that apple users must pay for their hardware mitigates the "ease of use" argument that is so prevalent. While OS X is a user friendly interface... it does "dumd down" the computing experience a tad too much for me. I feel like Win7 has really become an excellent "happy medium". Linux distros are great for those whom want to roll up their sleaves and get dirty. Snow Leopard is great for users who see a computer as a means to an end (as it pertains to the digital era). Win7 is a great balance between the two.

All that being said, I have always felt that OS X file system is the worst among all popular OS's

Snow Leopard File System

While not a complete revamp, Snow Leopard reduces file sizes significantly (35-40%) as well as their memory footprint.

While not a complete revamp, Snow Leopard reduces file sizes significantly (35-40%) as well as their memory footprint.

I am not sure, but i thing this is because they drooped PPC support and gone to 64-bit native, so no need to make there app "Universal binary" any more (That alone save half of the bits :))

I think this is one of the most important transfer windows 8 need to do (drop 32-bit and go native 64-bit down to the core) .

PS: Both OS'es (OS x 10.6 & W7) now have a footprint of about 6 GB.

One day Apple will realise they were nearly bankrupted until Steve Jobs started doing kids gadgets...umm Ipods I mean, which are vastly overpriced and technically inferior to many other lesser named music players, and realise they are hypocrites as they stole thier OS designs from Xerox and rarely innovate with anything useful, don't even get me started about gaming....2-3 years behind the cutting edge for most MAC ports...LMAO if you need to dual boot a MAC to windows then you are basically admitting MAC OS is inferior.

Last edited:
There's a Reason

I dual boot to Windows 7 on my MacBook because I work with customers who have both. If I wasn't in the business of solving problems with customers, I would do Mac alone on my Mac. I don't feel that Snow Leopard is inferior in anyway to Windows 7.

Leopard as it currently stands is better than Windows 7 imo and Snow Leopard will continue to improve. Already Snow Leopard is running the majority of its software 64 bit and using new technology such as grand central to allow gpu and multicore awareness to increase the raw computing power.
I think Snow Leopard provides Apple a great platform for the future and i think it will continue to lead innovation and influence the tech industry.
The iPhone will also continue to shape the mobile industry leading it towards software and cloud computing rather just cheap handsets with a limited life span.
Windows 7 is a great OS and very snappy from the RC and test builds i've used and continue to use on my PC computer but given the choice i would move completely away from windows.
I'd like to see Apple include the MSN chat protocol for iChat so it actually becomes useful... no one outside of the United States uses AIM anymore!
I think if Apple offered a mid range desktop machine at a reasonable price it would increase its market share even more and at $29 SL will sell like free beer :) i seriously doubt Windows 7 will be cheap as MS is a software company solely and depend on their licenses to maintain their company.

1st place = Snow Leopard
2nd place = Windows 7
3rd place = Linux

Leopard as it currently stands is better than Windows 7 imo and Snow Leopard will continue to improve. Already Snow Leopard is running the majority of its software 64 bit and using new technology such as grand central to allow gpu and multicore awareness to increase the raw computing power.
I think Snow Leopard provides Apple a great platform for the future and i think it will continue to lead innovation and influence the tech industry.
The iPhone will also continue to shape the mobile industry leading it towards software and cloud computing rather just cheap handsets with a limited life span.
Windows 7 is a great OS and very snappy from the RC and test builds i've used and continue to use on my PC computer but given the choice i would move completely away from windows.
I'd like to see Apple include the MSN chat protocol for iChat so it actually becomes useful... no one outside of the United States uses AIM anymore!
I think if Apple offered a mid range desktop machine at a reasonable price it would increase its market share even more and at $29 SL will sell like free beer :) i seriously doubt Windows 7 will be cheap as MS is a software company solely and depend on their licenses to maintain their company.

1st place = Snow Leopard
2nd place = Windows 7
3rd place = Linux

You make some very good points.. ;) I'd go:

1st place = Windows 7
2nd place = Linux (Ubuntu 9.04 at this time)
3rd place = Windows Vista Ultimate x64

:)

Well, I like Macs, and I like Windows, but overall I think windows blows Mac away for a few reasons.

Some problems I have with Macs is that:

1. They try and do everything for you, where as windows makes you do everything yourself, but you always get it done exactly how you wanted it.

2. Third party apps are essential to about everything I do, most companies don't have Mac versions of there third party stuff.

3. They are overpriced. Sure they have lasting parts, but I could build a computer that is twice as good for half the price.

4. Everything seems very set in stone and uncustomizable. For example in windows you can tweak about every aspect of anything in the OS very easily, in Mac's its harder.

5. The damn title menus for programs remain at the top of the screen instead of being on top of the window. This is so annoying when working with programs that aren't maximized and you go to the title menus a lot.

6. The innovations are annoying a lot of the time. Ex. Laptop with no right and left mouse buttons, one button mouse, etc.

7. Lack of compatibility with a lot of hardware. You can't just go out and buy any piece of hardware for your mac, you have to make sure its specifically made for it.

8. iTunes

Other then that, they are pretty fun to use. I don't know about most people, but I've never got a blue screen on any windows OS, and I work my comp to the bone. 10 windows of high memory using programs. Like Adobe stuff such as Photoshop, Fireworks, Dreamweaver open at the same time as Firefox with about 25 tabs, and FL Studio, etc.

Also iPods are junk and wouldn't even be bought if that weren't the first ones to mass produce new technology. Not that Zune's are any better. Creative is where its at.

Why I love Windows over Mac OS X

1. I can install it in any thing i want .... from branded PC's to self assembled PC's .... to MAC it self.
2. I can configure/tweak windows the way i like, i am a power user and i need to customize things to the last bit.
3. I use Firefox for the Add-ons ( i can't survive without adblock+) , in windows missing feature can also be added by Third party apps. which windows have huge library.
4. less $$$

Also i keep my windows snappy and clean by:

1. Installing windows myself in all PC's including new PC's, so there is no crapware that come pre-installed by OEM's
2. By using free Avast+spybot i keep my PC safe of all Malware for free (I use the bulit-in firewall)
3. For Hardware I only install the DLL's in the Device manger (using inf file) , no need for installing crap software just because i need to add printer or something.
4. MSConfig .... very powerfull tool, stop all un-needed Apps/Services at booting ... result ... super fast booting
5. I only Install handful of useful apps
6. Keep my files/data in separate partition/hard-drive (super easy to format or boot to different OS)
7. Disable IE

Back