Windows 7 Are you a AMD or Intel guy/gal?

AMD or Intel? That is the question...

• AMD

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Intel

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Neither. I use equipment thats too different for you to even comprehend.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Besides the truth is you get what you pay for. Buy cheap junk and you'll always get substandard results. Spend a few extra bucks and you will get something that will last and you won't have to buy it again.

I found that out the hard way. Years ago I bought a cheap guitar amplifier that I only got about a year out of before I gave up on it. Then I went and bought one for 3 times the price and I've been using it for 15 years and it's going strong. Also it sounds incredible. All the young guitar players freak out over my sound.

Last edited:
Well I wouldn't go as far to say AMD make crap, the Phenom II Quads are decent and pretty good value for a £100 chip, but they certainly play catch up to Intel's more expensive equivalents, but that's hardly a surprise given how much Intel spend on R&D etc, AMD don't even own thier own foundries anymore so they must be getting by on very small margins, which leads Intel to charge more, simply because they know they can due to the huge reserves of cash they have. I'm was initially undecided if buying out ATI was thier saviour or thier biggest blunder... since now a year or so later they are battling stiff competition on the GPU market, I think AMD's GPUs are the main reason keeping them in the game. I just sense Intel wait for them to get something out then blow it away to annoy them every time, much like Nvidia do.

I certainly do not want AMD to fall flat against Nvidia or Intel, since they are helping to keep the prices down, I remember a time when it was intel or nothing, bad times for prices, ultimately competition keeps the market from becoming a monopoly, which would result in stupid prices and slower changes to tech.

Last edited:
Well I wouldn't go as far to say AMD make crap, the Phenom II Quads are decent and pretty good value for a £100 chip, but they certainly play catch up to Intel's more expensive equivalents,
I certainly do not want AMD to fall flat against Nvidia or Intel, since they are helping to keep the prices down, I remember a time when it was intel or nothing, bad times for prices, ultimately competition keeps the market from becoming a monopoly, which would result in stupid prices and slower changes to tech.
I wasn't trying to say AMD makes crap. Just Intel's stuff is better. Also I heartily agree that competition is necessary. We need AMD to keep Intel on their toes.

Gaming wise I'll put my $200 AMD quad against a $1000 Intel chip anytime...

I bow to your expertise on the matter Kemical buddy. I don't know squat about gaming.

Thanks man but your right of course and Intel do have the edge over AMD performance wise. We are hearing some good rumours about the Bulldozer core and the 32nm node. Although until we see them in the flesh, as it were, then rumours will all it'll be...

I stay pretty open minded about everything. I do research constantly and If I find that AMD comes up with something good I'd definitely give it a try.

Gaming wise I'll put my $200 AMD quad against a $1000 Intel chip anytime...

blimey thats a bold statement when even the top end 6 core Gulftown is only $600 now, theres not a AMD chip out that gets even in sight of a top 10 position in the benchmarks on stock speeds vs Intels offerings, and at number 13 in the alltime charts the AMD that does is $1300! then a long drop to about 33rd position for the fastest AMD sixcore, with Intel filling all the above positions.

PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End

LOL guess this videos even more relevant now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX-T8P7cRUc

Last edited:
I did say gaming. In real world gaming there's not much to choose from between Intel or AMD.
As I said above in all other areas Intel pretty much has AMD licked.

Last edited:
well to be fair in my tests most newish games rely more on GPU than CPU, exceptions being things like Crysis series, Total War Series, and GTA4 which gained substancial performance since upgrading just the CPU, at the end of the day as long as ya getting 60fps it doesnt really matter what overhead isnt being used except for stuff like video editing etc which I do a lot of.

Last edited:
lol well it's all subjective at the end of the day, the wheel turns so often in tech, that todays champions are tomorrows chumps. Look on the bright side Kemical, only trolling fanboys would fall out over such trivialities...lol

Last edited:
AMD Bulldozer (Zambezi) which will be the worlds first 8 core processor should make an apearance in a few months and should cost around $320.00. This should tip the tables a little. I've been saving up for this for months. :)

it will be a very short lived victory considering the 6 core AMDs dont even beat all the top end Intel quads... although like the sound of the 128/256bit structure... with Intels Ivybridge 8 and 12's cores due in spring, AMD will win xmas before Intel rip the high end market back on speed alone very quickly for another year, the penny watchers will get some awesome horsepower very cheap from AMD and Intel as the price wars once again commence for the mid-high market (AMD always win on the low end as Intel don't even try to compete at the price point, although this never stops Intel releasing some £1000 CPU that most people refuse to spend on just to have the fastest money can buy).

Last edited:
AMD Bulldozer (Zambezi) which will be the worlds first 8 core processor should make an apearance in a few months and should cost around $320.00. This should tip the tables a little. I've been saving up for this for months. :)

It's getting closer but Intel will still have the edge at the high end although as Highwayman say's who want's a 1000 dollar chip?

An early stepping of an octo core Bulldozer chip (engineering sample) has been tested over at Chiphell. Results are decidedly disappointing with AMD stating that a revised stepping is in the works which should be faster. Here is a screenie of their result coupled with a run done on my 'aging' 4 core DDR2 machine:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

The full article can be found here:

AMD B0 Stepping Bulldozer CPU Benchmarked

Back