Windows 7 ...as far as an XP emulator goes?

Clanofwolves

i was looking at Microsoft's Community about XP emulator installation on Windows 7 and I saw a plug for "Virtualbox" that looked interesting, but I've never heard of it. What's the best route? .....in your humble opinions; thanks!!!!!!

Best route? Download VirtualBox from virtualbox.org and install it. It's free.

However, it is NOT an XP emulator. VirtualBox emulates the hardware and acts like you have another machine running within your physical machine. You have to supply the software, which means if you wish to run XP, you need to have a valid copy of XP to install on it, just like you would for any other machine.

Best route? Download VirtualBox from virtualbox.org and install it. It's free.

However, it is NOT an XP emulator. VirtualBox emulates the hardware and acts like you have another machine running within your physical machine. You have to supply the software, which means if you wish to run XP, you need to have a valid copy of XP to install on it, just like you would for any other machine.

Oh, thanks for the info, it wasn't clear.

Two questions:
1) I have a copy of XP that I could load on Virtualbox, but the rub there is it's not supported and there's no way to get updates to make it even run a browser so I can utilize email. Is there another way to get XP updates from the '02 version to when they stopped supporting it.
2) Is the XP emulator good enough to load '06i Autodesk on and access email/file transfer?

Thanks again!

I believe if you install XP today, it will still receive all the updates that were available up to April of 2014, MS just stopped supplying new updates after that date.

Based on the System Requirements listed here: http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/System-requirements-for-AutoCAD-2006.html. I believe a Virtual Machine running XP should be able to handle Autodesk 2006. Email and file transfer is not an issue.

This does depend somewhat upon the machine you plan to run VirtualBox on though. The machine you install VirtualBox on must have enough cpu power and memory to support running it's original OS as well as the Virtual Machine. If your machine, referred to as the "host" machine has a marginal cpu or is short on RAM, it may not be suitable. If your machine has less than 3GB of RAM, it will struggle with trying to run a virtual machine since RAM used for the "host" machine can't be used for the virtual machine (referred to as the "guest"). Likewise, RAM allocated to the guest isn't available for the host to use. CPU power is also shared between the 2 machines.

Thanks for the info, very helpful. I have tried -for kicks- loading the '02 XP and there seems to be no way to get any updates at all; every googled portal takes me to the same dumb page trying to make me feel better and purchase Windows 10.....ug.

Anywho, my 'host' machine is a MacBook with 16 gigs of RAM; so no issue. I've downloaded Parallels 11 and have landed Windows 7 on the "guest" machine. It seems everything is working great. Now to decide on the Windows emulator or the Virtualbox. What ya think? Especially with the total lack of updates on XZp?

I'm confused. What Windows emulator? I don't know of any.

In order to get updates in XP, go to Control Panel->System which will bring up the System Properties dialog. Select the "Automatic Updates" tab and setup automatic updates. Once you do that you'll start receiving updates.

As a test, I setup a new VM and installed XP Home on it. I then enabled Automatic Updates and within a matter of minutes had several updates to install. A while later another 125 updates. Later there were more updates. So far my XP VM has received more than 200 updates.

BTW, what version of Win 7 did you install on your Mac? If it is the Pro or Enterprise version then you can download and install "XP Mode". XP Mode is actually a VM running XP within MS Virtual PC but there are several advantages to it over the VirtualBox route, not the least of which is that it includes a fully licensed version of XP Pro.

Last edited:
I'm confused. What Windows emulator? I don't know of any.

In order to get updates in XP, go to Control Panel->System which will bring up the System Properties dialog. Select the "Automatic Updates" tab and setup automatic updates. Once you do that you'll start receiving updates.

As a test, I setup a new VM and installed XP Home on it. I then enabled Automatic Updates and within a matter of minutes had several updates to install. A while later another 125 updates. Later there were more updates. So far my XP VM has received more than 200 updates.

BTW, what version of Win 7 did you install on your Mac? If it is the Pro or Enterprise version then you can download and install "XP Mode". XP Mode is actually a VM running XP within MS Virtual PC but there are several advantages to it over the VirtualBox route, not the least of which is that it includes a fully licensed version of XP Pro.

Thanks for the info!

I'll try the XP auto updates, if I can get the XP on the Vaio to find the Ethernet or Wifi; the drivers were Vista based, so that's an issue. I'm stuck on that machine. Any help here would be kicking (it's a 15" screen, better for CAD)

However, the MacBook has the Windows 7 Professional running on Parallels 11; so I'll be able to install the XP Mode from Microsoft, guess it's easy to find on their site. (this one is a 13" screen, not quite as good for CAD)

Does the Sony connect to the internet by itself? The VM emulates a NIC so even if the laptop connects via wifi, the VM will appear as connected via Ethernet. As long as the laptop can connect, the VM should have connectivity.

If I were you, I would install your Win 7 Pro in Boot Camp on your Mac and then install XP Mode. VMs don't usually run very well within other VMs. Parallels is a VM environment as is XP Mode so if you use Win 7 from within Parallels, you'll be running a VM within a VM.

Again, cool info.

First, the Vaio's wifi switch light is off, so I'm assuming the Vaio is driverless; and there is no support from Sony.

Second, I didn't know I could run Boot Camp and install the Windows OS directly on the Mac. I tried that feet on a 1,1 Mac Pro in '06 and ran into nothing but problems; after the loss of my mind and the minds of 'support' I went the Parallels route and it worked fine. You have personal experience in that application?

Sounds like you need t use ethernet on the Sony or get an inexpensive USB wifi adapter.
I tried loading Windows 7 on the Vaio and it turned on the wifi automatically, the battery however doesn't know to charge yet. I'm performing the updates (some will stick, others will not as its a 32) and then download the updates from Sony.

Question about Bootcamp: is there a way to migrate the Windows 7 that's in Parallels over to Bootcamp or do I have to uninstall it from Parallels and then install it in Bootcamp? The reason I ask is It was a real pain to get Microsoft to recognize a Mac when certifying it and it was a real investment in time getting it to where it is; although I agree with you that running a VM in a VM is not the best solution for speed.

Thanks!!

Back