Windows 7 Autounattend.xml not recognized when installing Windows 7 OEM

ps2goat

I have Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit (x86) , trying to install on x64 architecture (dual core atom proc). I am trying to boot from the DVD, with the Autounattend.xml file on a USB drive (Mushkin 8GB, light blinks when accessed, so I know it is being read from). I have also tried using the file name Unattend.xml per other suggestions.

My Autounattend.xml file does not get recognized. No errors are shown, but I explicitly set the locale, language, etc., to US English (en-Us), but I am still prompted by the Windows 7 DVD to select these settings.

Please help! I was unable to get this working for Vista, too, but I didn't have the ambition to sell that to people.

My catalog file that I used when building the answer file is from the DVD, and it is using x86 components for the 32 bit version of Windows.

AutoUnattend.xml can be placed on the root of any drive/usb/floppy where a dvd install will see it including root of dvd. Unattend.xml is used for other things.
trying to install on x64 architecture
means you're installing on a 64 bit machine? No problem

I'd have to see your xml, remove serial or any sensitive data and attach and I'll take a look.
Here is examples Ask your Seven xml ? here - MSFN For

Error can be caught here MSFN

Give me a little bit. I just realized I made a stupid mistake-- I installed the WAIK/OPK on a new install of Server 2008 R2, and I hadn't yet changed it to show all file extensions.

So the first problem was my actual file name was "Autoattend.xml.xml". Microsoft really knows how to screw with developers and system builders.

Now, I am wrestling with auto disk paritioning, and it seems like there are a lot of 'gotchas'. E.g., to extend a primary partition, you set Extend="true" in "CreatePartition," but specifying it in "ModifyPartition" causes an error (because the latter is for logical partitions within an extended partition only).

It looks like I may be good to go, but it didn't help that most of the Microsoft forums for Windows 7 were down last night when I needed an answer.

Also don't help MS xml is not recognized by any decent xml editor. Sim is a good way to build it but there are more gotcha in that also reason I build my own.
1 mistake can bsod and down you go :)

I have prepared unattended .XML file and put it in root of USB drive and kept Windows 7 OEM in DVD drive. Mentioned catalog file path in unattended. xml. enabled all USB ports in BIOS settings. But unattended. XML file is not getting recognized while booting. What could be the possible problem here

I believe you cant do this with a standard windows install dvd. Nor can you do it with a Home license. This is the process for building a unattened install.

But this doesnt solve my problem. i would like to know the instances in which autounttend file wont get recognized with above explanation

Back