Backup and Restore

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Software' started by Allain, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Allain

Allain New Member

Hi I am using Windows 7 RTM. I just want to ask if what software can I use to backup my entire hard disk? I don't want to use the Built-in Backup/restore of windows7. Is there any software I can use? I have an Acronis True Image 2009, but others say it is unsupported. Is it true? Thank you so much.

2. john3347

john3347 Extraordinary Member
    Premium Supporter

While others will offer other solutions which may work much better than this for any given set of circumstances, I will present my solution that offers some additional benefits over simple system back-up. I am a believer in Windows Home Server! I installed a couple of hard drives which, at the time, were considered large (1-640 GB and 1-500 GB) in a discarded computer with no additional modifications that was then loaded with Windows Home Server operating system. It has been providing exemplary service since WHS beta days. I also save work to the server that I can access from any other connected computer with less hassle than to connect to a peer computer.

So my total back-up strategy is to automatically back up a complete system drive image to the WHS daily, save user documents manually to folders in WHS and, as a secondary back-up, I have an external USB harddrive attached to each computer for manual back-up any time I make a substantial change to any files on that computer.

This works for me - something different works for others. I do know that this strategy was tested last week in a total computer crash and proved its merit. I only lost a few hours time and a few desktop internet shortcuts. :)