Believers' Reactions Mixed to Unfulfilled Doomsday

whoosh

Cooler King
Staff member
Premium Supporter
The hour of the apocalypse came quietly and went the same way — leaving those who believed that Saturday evening would mark the world's end confused, or more faithful, or just philosophical.

Believers had spent months warning the world of the pending cataclysm. Some had given away earthly belongings. Others took long journeys to be with loved ones. And there were those who drained their savings accounts.

All were responding to the May 21 doomsday message by Harold Camping, an 89-year-old retired civil engineer who has built a multi-million-dollar Christian media empire that publicizes his apocalyptic prediction.

"I had some skepticism but I was trying to push the skepticism away because I believe in God," said Keith Bauer — who hopped in his minivan in Maryland and drove his family 3,000 miles to California for the Rapture.

He started his day in the bright morning sun outside the gated Camping's Oakland headquarters of Family Radio International.

"I was hoping for it because I think heaven would be a lot better than this earth," said Bauer, a tractor-trailer driver who began the voyage west last week, figuring that if he "worked last week, I wouldn't have gotten paid anyway, if the Rapture did happen."

According to Camping, the destruction was likely to have begun its worldwide march as it became 6 p.m. in the various time zones, although some believers said Saturday the exact timing was never written in stone.

Ng Han Guan/AP Photo
The sun sets over the horizon near Changchun... View Full Size

Ng Han Guan/AP Photo
The sun sets over the horizon near Changchun in northeastern China's Jilin province, Saturday, May 21, 2011. Across the globe, followers of a California preacher's long-publicized message that Judgment Day would arrive Saturday turned to the Bible, the book they believe predicts Earth's destruction on May 21. May 21: End of the World? Watch Video
Inside an Armageddon-Proof Home Watch Video
May 21st Doomsday Comes to New York Watch Video
He had been projecting the apocalyptic prediction for years far and wide via broadcasts and websites.

In New York's Times Square, Robert Fitzpatrick, of Staten Island, said he was surprised when the six o'clock hour simply came and went. He had spent his own money to put up advertising about the end of the world.

"I can't tell you what I feel right now," he said, surrounded by tourists. "Obviously, I haven't understood it correctly because we're still here."

Many followers said the delay was a further test from God to persevere in their faith.

Believers' Reactions Mixed to Unfulfilled Doomsday - ABC News :razz:

Mad thoughts take many forms . When a wished for event fails to materalise then a reason must be found . People have given up jobs and even family ties to prepare for the, rapture. Only reason then must be that God, is displeased and not willing to end the world, till man is more sincere.
A more valid reason could be it is all delusional thinking . The work of a fantasist :)

Last edited:
Back