Windows 8 Blocking GPU fan intentionally

Ekhangel

Extraordinary Member
I'm having issues with one of my GPU's fans (it features a dual-fan cooling) and will have to fix it soon. The problem is, it's making an annoying noise and I was thinking if I could just block it for the time being, however brutally that sounds.

So, the question is - provided the GPU doesn't reach critical temperatures (I'm going to monitor this obviously) - would this create any additional risks, like overcurrent or something? (I don't play games, but it's a HD6950, so it does emit a lot of heat)

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Hi Ekangel,
sorry your post was missed until now. Do you still require help?

To be honest it's not really a good idea to stop the fan. Not only do they cool the chip but also the RAM and Mosfets (voltage regulators) so they are best left running.
What is causing the noise? The actual fan or is a fan blade hitting something? If it's the fan then you could try applying some WD40 which is very thin easing oil sometimes used in electrical situations.

Hi kemical, thanks for your reply.

I do realize stopping the fan will have an obviously adverse effect on the temperature. I think the noise is caused by a faulty shaft, which, as I've heard, is non-serviceable in XFX 6950's. The blade is free from any obstructions. Trying WD40 could help indeed.

Actually, the fan is working quiet now. It has its moments when it makes first a low, uneven sound and then a higher, irritating one, only to return to noiseless operation after a day or two. Strange. The speed is fixed at 20%.

You can replace the fan....it's a bit labor intensive but can be achieved.

Hi kemical, thanks for your reply.

I do realize stopping the fan will have an obviously adverse effect on the temperature. I think the noise is caused by a faulty shaft, which, as I've heard, is non-serviceable in XFX 6950's. The blade is free from any obstructions. Trying WD40 could help indeed.

Actually, the fan is working quiet now. It has its moments when it makes first a low, uneven sound and then a higher, irritating one, only to return to noiseless operation after a day or two. Strange. The speed is fixed at 20%.

I recently bought a couple of case fans (CoolerMaster no less) and the second of the two I bought started squealing like a pig.... Damn it was loud. A few squirts of WD40 and a few smacks to the actual fan eventually shut it up (not that I suggest doing the same LOL) but you may be able to try something along the same lines. Try manipulating the fan one way or another and see if it makes any difference.

Back
Top Bottom