Windows 10 BSOD, Can't Even Log on. Driver Problems?

plokm

My Laptop with windows 10 randomly crashed while I was playing league of legends. The bsod popped up and the computer restarted. Every time I boot up the bsod comes back up sometime before i can login, and the errors seem to vary a bit, but the main problem seems to be memory management. My best guess is that the problem is my drivers (or RAM) because two of the most recent errors have mentioned drivers. The biggest problem is that I cannot do anything because the computer crashes before I can login. I have tried booting in safe mode, but it still crashes before I log in or as soon as I do anything after logging in. I also tried restoring to an earlier version, but after taking its lovely time, it ended up not being able to restore for some reason. I have tried running sfc /scannow but it stopped at around 18%. Tried a few other internet solutions (not very helpful, i know, sorry), but nothing worked.

Some of the errors included: A message saying something to the effect of "the os could not load because a required file/driver/kernel was missing or contains errors", plus:

File: vmbkmcl.sys
Error code: 0xc0000098

File: \windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

File: \windows\system32\drivers\ADP8OXX.SYS

File: \windows\system32\drivers\iaStorV.sys

There were a few other errors and some did have different codes. I can look back and try to list more if that would help. I tried resetting windows while keeping all of my files, but it seemed to do nothing after I clicked on the option. I would rather not have to reset everything and reinstall windows if possible. I do not have the windows disk, as the computer came with windows from the manufacturer. Any help is appreciated.

Interesting update: after leaving the computer off for about 30 mins and turning it back on, I was able to log on. It had an error message up saying that the system restore failed, even though everything on the desktop was gone except the recycle bin. I could not use my mouse, but was able to use the windows search just by typing, and I tried to go to driver updates, but then the computer crashed because of memory management and keeps crashing as soon as as I turn it on.
Some of my basic computer information:
MSI GP70 2QE
Intel i5-4210H Processor
NVIDIA GeForce GT 940M 2 GB DDR3
Memory: DDRIII(L) 8GB

Hi,
I just wonder if you left the pc alone for 30mins again you'd be able to access Safe mode? If you can't get into windows again then try removing all the RAM apart from one stick and see if she'll boot.

The above crashes you posted has one driver listed which is your Intel Rapid Storage driver: iaStorV.sys . The rest look like windows drivers (Hyper V, ect).

Ideally we need to see your actual dump files and this sticky will guide you on how to collect them with the app supplied:
How to ask for help with a BSOD problem

You can download a copy of the iso for Windows 8.1 here (you will need the activation key which came with the laptop:
Download Windows 8.1

I'm hoping you can use a different machine to access the above Windows download, hopefully the one your using now to access the forum?

So are you saying that I should load up windows through the usb to use my computer and get the dump files? Also my computer has windows 10, are you sure I should get windows 8 on the usb? I can't seem to access safe mode for any reasonable amount of time any other way. Removing the RAM will void my warranty, which I would like in case this turns out to be a hardware problem. I have gotten two more different errors referring to Nvidia and usb hub 3 drivers btw.

As it's under warranty it'd probably be best to return it to the retailer for a replacement ot contact MSI for an RMA. Before providing you with RMA instructions they'll probably get you to troubleshoot which will include removing or moving the memory. Memory is a user serviceable part as is the hdd. Which can be upgraded by the user so doesn't invalidate your warranty.

That's what I might have to end up doing. Its only a hardware warranty though, so if it ends up being a software problem I'm out of luck.

So are you saying that I should load up windows through the usb to use my computer and get the dump files? Also my computer has windows 10, are you sure I should get windows 8 on the usb? I can't seem to access safe mode for any reasonable amount of time any other way. Removing the RAM will void my warranty, which I would like in case this turns out to be a hardware problem. I have gotten two more different errors referring to Nvidia and usb hub 3 drivers btw.

I'm just trying to think of ways you can get those dump files. I'm not sure why i thought you were on win 8.1 perhaps mixing you up with a different user..

One thing you could try is running memtest86 to check the RAM isn't faulty. Memtest86 doesn't need to enter windows as you simply boot from the disk or usb that has memtest86 on:

Windows does have a memory testing app but it can miss errors and the best app for the job is Memtest86.
If you open the link below you'll see you can run Memtest86 in two ways. You can either burn it to disk or install it onto a USB drive it's entirely up to you. You'll then need to enter the bios to change the boot order so you can boot from either the Disk or USB stick you have Memtest86 on.
You must test for at least 12 hours unless it becomes obvious there is a problem straight away.
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

You seem reluctant to try some of the suggestions and as the other member specified it might be worth using your warranty instead.

I know I'm not giving a lot for you to go off of here so thank you for all of your help. I will run memtest tonight and explore my warranty options.

I know I'm not giving a lot for you to go off of here so thank you for all of your help. I will run memtest tonight and explore my warranty options.
Sounds good. I'll check in the morning for any updates ect.. Best of luck with the testing.

I have downloaded memtest onto a usb and tried booting from it. I'm sure that the computer is checking the usb first, and I did re-arrange my boot order, but it just seems to skip over it and the normal windows boot occurs and crashes. I tried all of the recent memtest files and none of them worked. I looked up guides but I must still be doing something wrong. Perhaps you know a guide that explains it step by step like I'm a 5 year old? lol. In the meantime I tried downloading windows onto a (different) usb from here so that I could re-install it (At this point I'm fine with resetting it and losing any files) but every time I tried booting from the usb I got the ntoskrnl.exe error, and the errors never varied if that means anything.

I can't seem to get that one to work. However, with the same USB I was able to get the one from here working, if that is a reliable tester. It keeps saying "could not start cpu" so I have 13 million errors after 5 mins of running it lol. It says 4 cpus found but only two were active.

I can't seem to get that one to work. However, with the same USB I was able to get the one from here working, if that is a reliable tester. It keeps saying "could not start cpu" so I have 13 million errors after 5 mins of running it lol. It says 4 cpus found but only two were active.
I say we've found your problem.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Windows Forums mobile app

I have 13 million errors after 5 mins of running it lol.
Apparently 'we' have found your issue and it's a pretty conclusive that a stick or sticks of RAM is faulty. If it's still under warranty then get it replaced otherwise you will have to buy a new set.

Noticed I said 'set' instead of Stick.

If you originally bought either a 2 or 4 stick set you will need replace like with like.

Back
Top Bottom