Windows 7 BSOD issues: 0x34 and 0x3b

neon221

I've seen several BSODs recently: the culprits are bug codes 0x34 and 0x3b. I've sifted through the .dmp files and it seems related to memory. This has recently (~2 weeks) occurred multiple times, but I'm unable to pinpoint it. Can anyone help with this? Thanks

Attachments

• W7F_02-03-2015.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 404
Last edited:
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff80003698427, fffff8800bae1e90, 0}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!IopFreeBandwidthContract+17 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
as you know you have two different dump files Bugcheck 34 which can mean your machine got so low on pooled memory it blue screened although this can be caused by drivers. Bugcheck 3B is or can be excessive use of pooled memory although looking at this dump file further reveals that data held in the RAM couldn't be read because either the data or the RAM is/was corrupt. Looking through your Driver stack you do have some possible culprits:

BiosVersion = 1708
BiosReleaseDate = 11/09/2012

You have Bios updates available with the latest release standing at 2104:
http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/P8Z77V/HelpDesk_Download/
Please double check I have the correct download for your motherboard.

asmthub3.sys Thu Nov 03 03:00:32 2011: Asmedia ASM1042 USB3 drivers. A 2014 version can be found on the bottom of the page found here:
http://www.station-drivers.com/inde...edia-ASM-104x-107x-Drivers-Version-1.16.16.0/

Please run the Intel driver update utility:
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

nvlddmkm.sys Thu Feb 05 18:01:37 2015: Nvidia gpu driver. If I'm correct this is the latest hotfix driver primarily intended for the 980. Try returning the the previous whql driver:
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

sptd.sys Tue Sep 10 21:59:02 2013: SCSI Pass Through Direct Host - Daemon Tools/Alcohol 120% (known BSOD issues with Win7). If bsod continues consider removing.

xusb21.sys Wed Apr 08 15:28:44 2009: XBox USB wireless controller BSOD issues in Win7 with 2009 driver (found in mid-2012) please update:
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/controller-pc-compatibility

If after making the above changes you still get the bsod then you need to test your RAM.
Windows does have it's own memory testing app but it can often miss errors and the best app for the job is Memtest86. The latest version of which can be found here:
http://www.memtest.org/

To run Memtest86 you need to either burn a copy of it to disk or use a USB stick. If you look down the page you'll eventually find the latest version and it's associated downloads. If your burning to disk choose the pre-compiled iso zip. If your using a USB method then the corresponding download is the auto installer for a USB stick.
Once you have Memtest86 on the media you selected you'll then need to enter your bios and change the boot order so that the machine will boot from either the disk or stick you have Memtest86 on.
Run the test for at least 12hrs if possible unless it becomes clear that there is a issue. If there is a problem with the RAM you'll see the errors pop up in red so you can't miss them.

Post any new dump files.

Thanks very much, all very useful info. I can't seem to find the entry: sptd.sys Tue Sep 10 21:59:02 2013: SCSI Pass Through Direct Host - Daemon Tools/Alcohol 120% within my drivers list or system info, is that cropping up elsewhere?

I'll take this onboard and let you know of any further issues.

I searched system information for sptd, in addition to the drivers list file (which has the list of timestamps). I can find it within my system directory, which is peculiar. In which file are you seeing this timestamp? Thanks.

I saw it listed in the driver stack although if your bsod has stopped I wouldn't worry but if you want to break the driver you could always rename it to something like sptd.old.

Could it be problematic because of the following?
2: kd> x sptd!*
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for sptd.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for sptd.sys

Not really thats just saying some info was unavailable for whatever reason.. As I said, this app is known to be dodgy within the windows 7 os but whether you choose to remove it is entirely up to you. I didn't see anything in the dump to suggest that this app was an issue other than it's potential to become one.

I have had another BSOD recently which occurred on sleep resume - code 0x34 in the attached minidump. I ran Memtest86 on both sticks for ~9 hours with no results. Before running the test on individual sticks, I ran a Chkdsk, which flagged the following:

CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
master file table (MFT) bitmap.
Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

I ran Chkdsk again and found no errors. I then proceeded to run a long generic test in SeaTools for my SeaGate drive, which passed. I have read that hard disk corruption can be a contributor, but I'm not sure whether this caused it.

Should I hold back until another potential BSOD arises, or test memory further?

Cheers

EDIT: I addressed all the potential fixes as above prior to testing memory

Attachments

• 030715-24757-01.dmp
    320 KB · Views: 284
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 34, {50853, fffff8800359a758, fffff88003599fb0, fffff8000328997f}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!CcSetValidData+43 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
interesting you should mention the hard drive as your dump file mentions this:
Code:
See the comment for FAT_FILE_SYSTEM (0x23)
This goes on to say that bad blocks or sectors can induce this error so you did the right thing. Just check that Windows isn't corrupted by running an admin command prompt and typing:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

As for the memory, even though 9hours isn't actually long enough I'd still wait and see if you bsod again. Memory and HDD errors can often look alike so it's possible you have found and fixed the source of the problem.

Back