Windows 10 BSOD with wireless USB adapter

Hi guys,

I had a serious BSOD crash two days ago while settling in a new flat. Got into a BSOD loop until I figured that the TP-Link usb wireless adaptor (TL-WN725N) was the problem. When removed all works fine now (except firefox that doesn't turn on anymore). Every time I plug it back, BSOD again. Had been using it for 8 months now with no issues, wondering what's happened? I updated all my drivers and tried with a new adapter but still BSOD. Other usb-connected devices work fine though.

Any idea?

Thank you.

Attachments

• 022118-4750-01.dmp
    1.3 MB · Views: 666
  • BSOD1.jpg
    BSOD1.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 937
Last edited:
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff8085259bbda, 0, ffffffffffffffff}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for rtwlanu.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for rtwlanu.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for win32k.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for win32k.sys
Probably caused by : memory_corruption

Followup:     memory_corruption

Your system:
SATELLITE P50-C-18L

Hi,
as your aware it looks like the driver rtwlanu.sys: Realtek Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter is causing you problems.

I noticed the driver is dated 2018 which makes me wonder where you got it from?

Laptops must use drivers supplied by the manufacturer of the machine. I checked the support page for your model and the same driver is only dated to 2016.

I would remove the 2018 version via the Apps section and then install Toshiba's version which you can find here:
Toshiba

You may have to search through the site again to find the actual driver page. If you do just search for your system which I posted above.

The actual wireless driver is located on page 4 of the driver list.

Post any new dump files.

Hi Kemical,

Thanks for your reply. After the first BSODs I updated drivers via Avast. It must be the one that installed that 2018 version.

I did as you advised but it doesn't work when I try to install the 2016 version from the Toshiba website. I think I already had problems with that driver in the past. Don't remember how I solved it, I need to check again. Not sure though if it's the cause of the problem with the wifi adapter?

Attachments

• 022218-4453-01.dmp
    1,006 KB · Views: 1,214
Code:

BugCheck 1E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff803c525bbda, 0, ffffffffffffffff}

*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for rtwlanu.sys

Hi,
have you tried completely uninstalling the driver? Windows may use one of it's own drivers which might stop the crashing.

Avast AV suites can at times cause the odd issue and if the bsod continues try uninstalling as a test.

Check the windows memory diagnostic:
How to Test Your Computer’s RAM for Problems

Check for and repair system corruption by running these scans:

Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

I'm unfortunately short on time as i'm just about to nip out (to go fix a friends pc lol ) but I'll check back as soon as i get home (about 4-5hrs).
Hope all goes well.

Just some observations from OP thread.

Laptops must use drivers supplied by the manufacturer of the machine. I checked the support page for your model and the same driver is only dated to 2016.
True...if OP were using the internal or embedded wifi adapter of said laptop (SATELLITE P50-C-18L) and he's not. He using and exteranal TP USB dongle ((TL-WN725N) which may very well have a 2018 driver for it. But from what I see, the driver is from 2017. Realtek doesn't make any USB wifi aftermarket adapters. Now you have 2 competing wifi signals....one has to be turned off.

Then there's the pare were OP is using 3rd party software to update drivers (Avast)....which is never a good idea.

Thanks again Kemical. Indeed I had uninstalled it, but still didn't prevent a BSOD when I inserted the wifi dongle again. I have run the scan and checks you advised, but no abnormalities all seems fine.

Bassfisher6522, what I don't get is why this sudden crash when I have been using that TPLink dongle for 8 months without any issues?

Bassfisher6522, what I don't get is why this sudden crash when I have been using that TPLink dongle for 8 months without any issues?
Me either....but If I had to guess....it could be the age of the device or device itself is going bad (it happens). It could be a MS update that is causing the issue....but hard to track and confirm that (try a google search for that). Or it could be the fact the you're using Avast to update your drivers...."Only get drivers from the vendor" as 3rd party driver utilities usually install the wrong and or outdated drivers.
Download for TL-WN725N | TP-Link

BashFisher6522, unlikely it's a device issue as I tried also with a brand new one and still a BSOD. I have checked and no recent updates were made for W10 on the laptop. And for the drivers I always been doing manually and I installed Avast Driver Manager only after the crashes happened as I really couldn't figure the problem. Only recent change was connecting to a new wifi network but would that trigger BSOD?

Hi,
apologies for not replying sooner, normal service will now be resumed.. ;)

As the bsod is continuing did you try my suggestion of removing Avast?

Also if you have a recent dump file please send it in.

Hi Kemical,

Thanks again for your help. I did uninstall Avast but got that bsod again as I inserted the wifi dongle.

Attachments

• 022318-4453-01.dmp
    996.8 KB · Views: 678
Code:

BugCheck 1E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff8039fb9bbda, 0, ffffffffffffffff}

Hi,
as you can see it the same again.
I tried to find your chipset drivers (which are extremely important) but couldn't see them. If you've never installed them could you do so now please.
You'll need both. chipset driver and Intel engine management interface
Have you made any changes recently with either hardware or software as the above bugcheck can be caused by conflicts in either of these two areas.
Did you try the quick memory test outlined in the link I posted?

Is it possible for you to try the dongle in a different laptop or pc?

There is something else we could try but see how you get on with the above first.

Hi Kemical,

I must say that I am not really sure how to find these chipset drivers... From the list I get in the device manager panel (cf photo) I think everything is up to date (I checked), but not sure.

As for hardware of software changes nothing special. Checking my app installation history I just see a MOffice update a day before the crash but nothing else. I just know that it happened just a bit after connecting to a new network in a new flat.

For the memory test everything was ok. I tried the dongle on a friend's laptop, worked perfectly.

Attachments

• IntelChipsets.png
    IntelChipsets.png
    189 KB · Views: 682
  • 022418-5218-01.dmp
    1.1 MB · Views: 677
Code:

BugCheck 1E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff8040e7cbbda, 0, ffffffffffffffff}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for win32k.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for win32k.sys

Hi,
I've been going through the dump file for the last few hours and the culprit is proving elusive to say the least.

The dongle I notice needs a driver and you have two to choose from with one being slightly younger than the other. Try installing the other version but when you do make sure you run the driver as administrator by right clicking on the driver exe, choose properties followed by run as admin.
Download for TL-WN725N | TP-Link

Hi,

Thanks again for help. Tried with the older TP-Link driver. Issue is that when you install this driver, they ask you immediately to insert the dongle to keep going, which leads, well, to a bsod.

Have you tried booting up with the dongle inserted or does that lead straight to a blue screen?

So I did boot up with the dongle inserted and the bsod happens just after the log in screen appears. I also reinstalled the driver for rtwlanu.sys: Realtek Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter from the Toshiba website. But still the same result.

Attachments

• 022518-4843-02.dmp
    1.1 MB · Views: 690
  • 022518-5218-01.dmp
    1.5 MB · Views: 603
Code:

BugCheck 1E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff801de7abbda, 0, ffffffffffffffff}

Hi,
looking over your last dump file I can see in the Call stack 0x1a which can mean a severe memory management issue has occured and could mean you have some faulty RAM.
Windows does have a memory testing app but it can miss errors and the best app for the job is Memtest86.
If you open the link below you'll see you can run Memtest86 in two ways. You can either burn it to disk or install it onto a USB drive it's entirely up to you. You'll then need to enter the bios to change the boot order so you can boot from either the Disk or USB stick you have Memtest86 on.
You must test for as long as possible like overnight unless it becomes obvious there is a problem straight away.
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Something else we could try if memtest comes up with nothing ( you could try this first it's entirely up to you ) is running the Driver Verifier. This is an internal windows app which can stress drivers at boot up to see which are stable. In order to run the verifer you will also need a recovery disk/USB. This is just in case the verifier causes a blue screen loop on start up. If it does you can then use the recovery disk/usb to boot into the recovery console, enable safe mode and then turn the verifier off. Hopefully by that point the culprit will have been caught and written on the dump file.

Recovery Disk/USB

Here's a guide on how to use the Verifier. Ideally it shouldn't be run longer than 24hrs:
Driver Verifier - BSOD related - Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 & Vista

Any problems please post back.

Thanks Kemical,

I will have the memory test running tonight. What about the Driver Verifier? Is that running in the background or you cannot use the laptop at the same time?

Unfortunately they cannot be run at the same time.

Memtest86 USB/Dsik is what you actually boot from so whilst it's testing you cannot access windows.

Hope all goes well.. :)

Back