Can I Run XP Service Packs From Removable Storage Device?

gitano

I have an old (2002) Dell Latitude running XP Professional (Build 2600). This computer was used for writing and testing proprietary software and has NEVER been connected to the internet. I need to connect it to the internet. I bought a NetGear WNDA3100 that says it supports XP, but it does NOT support mine. NetGear support says it must have at least Service Pack 1 or 2 in order for their device (USB WIFI adapter) to work.

I'm fine with downloading the service packs for XP, but as you should be able to see, I have a Catch-22 - the computer that is running XP is not connected to the internet. Therefore, I can't download the software that I need in order to get on the internet.

HERE'S THE QUESTION:
Can I download the service packs for XP on another computer and transfer them via some storage device (SD card, "thumb drive", etc.) to the old computer and still have that software install correctly?

Thanks,
Paul

I don't see why not, simply transfer the file to either the desktop or folder of choice if it won't run from the actual device.

I have run into a problem. The only Service Pack downloads available REQUIRE connection to the internet. Again, a Catch-22: I can't get access to the internet until I get the Service Pack installed. Help would be appreciated.

Paul

I thought you were going to access them with a different machine and then transfer the files.

I thought you were going to access them with a different machine and then transfer the files.
That's precisely what I did. When I initiated the install - from the files I had transferred - I got an error message that the install couldn't proceed without connection to the internet. When I went to the suggested location to get the "don't need internet" version of the install, the linkS - all of them - were "dead". Someone suggested "wiping" the hard-drive and doing a complete re-install of XP followed by reinstallation of all of the licensed software that is currently on the HD. I'll refrain from repeating what I said when I read that.

Personally, I see this as a fundamental problem with "consumer" technology. The philosophy of the CS community is "keep up (PAY) for the latest fads whether you need them or not because we will render your equipment useless in a VERY short interval of time." If had back all of the time I have wasted over a 45-year career "fixing" what was supposed to be the "latest and greatest", I'd have a decade of 'life' added to that career. Yes, that's frustration talking, but it is only the tip of the frustration iceberg that has been forming over 45 years of experience with inflated promises (hype) followed by struggling to FIX what the hucksters FORCE on the consumer.

Rant off.

The 'solution' will likely be 'give up' and just work around the fact that I can't realistically get this computer connected to the internet. However, I'm still hopeful someone has a realistic (not wipe the computer and start over), suggestion.

Thanks,
Paul

Can you post what files you were after and where you got them from? I'll take a look and see if anything is amiss.

Love to; THANKS!

Unfortunately, this site doesn't allow uploading those type (app) files. If you have some other way to receive the files, I will use that.

That said, I got all three files I attempted to use from the MIcrosoft site: Service Pack and Update Center - Microsoft Windows

The first one I tried was:
The second one I tried was:
The third one I tried was:
Then, when those failed to work I went here:
All of the links provided to look for solutions to 'trouble' were dead, or said "wipe HD and start over".

Thanks for your efforts.

Paul

Turns out we have a 'perpetual' license for the software needed to perform the demo, therefore I can run necessary programs (mine) on another, internet-connected, computer. The older XP-based computer, (the focus of this thread), will remain internet 'chaste'. Thank you for your time and energy. I hope you don't feel like you wasted your time.

Paul

vmware and hyper-v can both make a v-copy of real hardware/ systems... may be worth you looking into?

Back