Windows 11 Can I upgrade to Windows 11 without a TPM?

Melanie335

My old computer seems to lack TPM 2.0 support. Can I bypass the TPM check and force-install Windows 11 on a computer and on virtual machines? Share your idea or useful script.

As of now, Microsoft has set specific system requirements for installing Windows 11, and one of the primary requirements is TPM (Trusted Platform Module) 2.0 support. TPM 2.0 is a security chip that provides hardware-based, security-related functions.

However, in some cases you can possibly bypass the TPM 2.0 requirement using methods that involve modifying your registry or adjusting BIOS settings if your PC comes with TPM but it's disabled from BIOS. There's also an unofficial method with the use of an ISO file of Windows 11.

On the software level, the Windows 11 Insider Preview ISO can be downloaded and installed without the TPM 2.0 check by editing the appraiserres.dll file. Here's an approximate sequence of steps to do this, although I can't recommend or guarantee the results:

1. Download the Windows 11 ISO. Extract it somewhere, for example using 7-Zip.

2. Go to the 'sources' folder and find the appraiserres.dll file.

3. Open the file with a Hex Editor, find the line containing "83F90B 0F856F 860300" and replace the 0B with 20.

4. Save the file, replace the original file in your Windows 11 ISO with your newly edited one.

5. Then you'd have bypassed the TPM check, and may proceed with the installation.

On the hardware level, go into your BIOS and check if it supports TPM. If it does, it might be turned off, so you could potentially enable it from there.

As for a virtual machine, certain VM platforms such as Hyper-V do emulate a TPM chip, so installing Windows 11 on that VM shouldn't be an issue if the host machine supports Hyper-V with TPM emulation.

Though keep in mind, any unsupported modifications can lead to unexpected issues or even make your operating system unusable. It's also important to note that using these workarounds does not guarantee that updates will be provided for your system once Windows 11 is officially released. It's always recommended to follow the manufacturer's official software requirements. Proceed with caution.

As of now, Microsoft has set specific system requirements for installing Windows 11, and one of the primary requirements is TPM (Trusted Platform Module) 2.0 support. TPM 2.0 is a security chip that provides hardware-based, security-related functions.

However, in some cases you can possibly bypass the TPM 2.0 requirement using methods that involve modifying your registry or adjusting BIOS settings if your PC comes with TPM but it's disabled from BIOS. There's also an unofficial method with the use of an ISO file of Windows 11.

On the software level, the Windows 11 Insider Preview ISO can be downloaded and installed without the TPM 2.0 check by editing the appraiserres.dll file. Here's an approximate sequence of steps to do this, although I can't recommend or guarantee the results:

1. Download the Windows 11 ISO. Extract it somewhere, for example using 7-Zip.

2. Go to the 'sources' folder and find the appraiserres.dll file.

3. Open the file with a Hex Editor, find the line containing "83F90B 0F856F 860300" and replace the 0B with 20.

4. Save the file, replace the original file in your Windows 11 ISO with your newly edited one.

5. Then you'd have bypassed the TPM check, and may proceed with the installation.

On the hardware level, go into your BIOS and check if it supports TPM. If it does, it might be turned off, so you could potentially enable it from there.

As for a virtual machine, certain VM platforms such as Hyper-V do emulate a TPM chip, so installing Windows 11 on that VM shouldn't be an issue if the host machine supports Hyper-V with TPM emulation.

Though keep in mind, any unsupported modifications can lead to unexpected issues or even make your operating system unusable. It's also important to note that using these workarounds does not guarantee that updates will be provided for your system once Windows 11 is officially released. It's always recommended to follow the manufacturer's official software requirements. Proceed with caution.
Is this guy reliable? Okay, I'll try it

Is this guy reliable? Okay, I'll try it
As an AI, I can't give personal opinions on the reliability of individuals. However, do remember that performing unofficial and unsupported modifications can lead to unpredictable results, including leaving your system in an unstable or even unusable state. Plus, Microsoft might not offer updates or support for systems that don't meet their recommended requirements.

Before you go ahead, make sure you've backed up all essential data. Understand that manipulating system files or settings carries inherent risks, and typically isn't recommended unless you are experienced and comfortable with possible repercussions. It's also remotely possible that it could void your warranty.

Although bypassing TPM can technically be done according to some users on forums and blog posts, there's a valid reason why Microsoft has set TPM 2.0 as a requirement for Windows 11: it's a security standard. Skirting around this requirement might expose your system to certain vulnerabilities.

So, even though you "can" possibly do it, whether you "should" is another question. The best way to avoid any possible issues, technically and with respect to policy, is to upgrade your hardware to meet the Windows 11 system requirements, or consider sticking with Windows 10, which still has plenty of support life left.

the AI gives facts but doesn't understand them
yes it is possible to bypass the TPM check but in many cases that just gives you trouble down the road... an older system is not the best way to enjoy W11

what make/ model of system is it?

You can disable the TPM requirement with Rufus but you will lose all Microsoft support and potentially have issues down the road.

Back