Windows 7 Can't find Group Policy Editor

salilsurendran

I have logged in as administrator and I am trying to start up the 'Group Policy Editor' using gpedit.msc but Windows 7 can't find it. Is this something that has to be installed or comes inbuilt with Windows 7?

Hi salisurendran,

Welcome the forums.

What version are you using? Try typing winver in the same dialogue box and check to see if you are running Windows 7 Professional or greater. Group Policy is not available in Windows 7 Home Edition.

Hi salisurendran,

Welcome the forums.

What version are you using? Try typing winver in the same dialogue box and check to see if you are running Windows 7 Professional or greater. Group Policy is not available in Windows 7 Home Edition.
i have got same problem;
so what can i do if Windows 7 Home Premium can't open Group Policy?
Am I must update Windows?

Hi :)

Im on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit but try typing in search (edit group policy)

I posted this some time ago on another forum I visit. I am reprinting it in its entirety. There is no copyright on it so feel free to use and distribute!

"I have recently been dealing, on two different forums, with moans about the MS blunder, of not including Gpedit.msc in the Windows 7 Home editions.
Use of this facility is for diehards but, there have been numerous articles on how to rectify the need.
I have put them together in a more logical form.
Unrar the attached gpedit file. Read through the doc first, and then run the setup.
I have not worked it through at the time of posting, as I do not at present have a Home editon installed. But I passed it on to one of my family, who said it worked out fine.
The second "rar" is a speadsheet mentioned in my doc"

Edit for above. I have had feedback that this did not work for many. It had been successfully employed by members on other forums, and I could not understand the negative feedback. After investigation, I realised this was, perhaps, for 32Bit
only. perhaps a member could confirm it works for 32 Bit?
However, I installed Home premium 64Bit and played with the program. The
answer ( at least for me, and I really hope for all) was simple. The installer
is unable to locate where to put the GpEdit.msc file. OK. Try this. I have
zipped Gpedit.msc (64Bit) and attached. Unzip and move it to Windows - System32.
Now, try, in the RUN box Gpedit.msc. Try it with or without the pre mentioned
installer. It worked for me on Windows Home Premium 64Bit”

Later. I have installed 32Bit. You MUST run the installer, as this puts the .dlls in the right places. You can then copy the Gpedit.msc to system32 and you should find you can run Gpedit.msc from the RUN box.
For newbies. Gpedit is a graphical interface to the registry. Personally, I think it would have been better if MS had incorporated this in all editions, as it is more appropropiate to a Graphical OS than Regedit

Last edited:
Edit for above. I have had feedback that this did not work for many. It had been successfully employed by members on other forums, and I could not understand the negative feedback. After investigation, I realised this was, perhaps, for 32Bit
only. perhaps a member could confirm it works for 32 Bit?
However, I installed Home premium 64Bit and played with the program. The
answer ( at least for me, and I really hope for all) was simple. The installer
is unable to locate where to put the GpEdit.msc file. OK. Try this. I have
zipped Gpedit.msc (64Bit) and attached. Unzip and move it to Windows - System32.
Now, try, in the RUN box Gpedit.msc. Try it with or without the pre mentioned
installer. It worked for me on Windows Home Premium 64Bit”

Later. I have installed 32Bit. You MUST run the installer, as this puts the .dlls in the right places. You can then copy the Gpedit.msc to system32 and you should find you can run Gpedit.msc from the RUN box.
For newbies. Gpedit is a graphical interface to the registry. Personally, I think it would have been better if MS had incorporated this in all editions, as it is more appropropiate to a Graphical OS than Regedit

Hello. I don't see the download link for the Gpedit files (either of them). Please post them. Thank you.

The suggestions were so erratic. Worked for some and not for others. I was overwhelmed with bad feedback, so decided to discontinue the Attachments, as,apart from my own load, theye discredited the forum. I am unable to edit the posts above, due to their age, but you can find the material if you browse.

Back
Top Bottom