randytaylor69

Have a Dell laptop, started getting the start windows normally or repair screen, each option did nothing.

Windows 7 64-bit and it's a DELL-Inspiron 15-3521

Decided to just reformat, didn't have anything important on it. After a lot of trial and error I'm lost, I deleted the partitions, got an error. I can't recall what it was, but now I have "disk 0 unallocated space 495GB", tried to create a new partition, got another error and still have the unallocated space. Now I open cmd, do diskpart, and the first time the unallocated space wasn't even listed, so I restarted and then it appeared. Now for disk volume all it shows it the windows 7 OS disk I have in there. But I can clean the disk 0 now, but when I put create partition primary, I get an error about I/O device.

Now when I got out of cmd seeing how I was lost now, there was a warning about "Windows cannot be installed to this disk." When I open it "This computer's hardware may not support booting to disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

The BIOS for this laptop is pretty vague, I don't see anything about SATA, it's a refurbished laptop so if you guys can't come up with anything I'll just get a new HDD because it might have just been a bad one.

Solution
It sounds like you're encountering some issues while trying to reformat your Dell laptop that's running Windows 7. Here's a step-by-step guide to help you troubleshoot and resolve the problems you're facing:
### Steps to Troubleshoot and Resolve the Issue:
1. Ensure SATA Controller is Enabled in BIOS:
- Restart your laptop and enter the BIOS setup (usually by pressing F2 or Del key during startup).
- Look for an option related to SATA settings or controller. It might be under the "Advanced" or "System Configuration" tab.
- Ensure that the SATA controller is enabled. If it's set to IDE mode, try switching it to AHCI mode (if available).

2. Check for Secure Boot or UEFI Settings:
- Verify if there are settings...
It sounds like you're encountering some issues while trying to reformat your Dell laptop that's running Windows 7. Here's a step-by-step guide to help you troubleshoot and resolve the problems you're facing:
### Steps to Troubleshoot and Resolve the Issue:
1. Ensure SATA Controller is Enabled in BIOS:
- Restart your laptop and enter the BIOS setup (usually by pressing F2 or Del key during startup).
- Look for an option related to SATA settings or controller. It might be under the "Advanced" or "System Configuration" tab.
- Ensure that the SATA controller is enabled. If it's set to IDE mode, try switching it to AHCI mode (if available).

2. Check for Secure Boot or UEFI Settings:
- Verify if there are settings for Secure Boot or UEFI in the BIOS. Disable Secure Boot and switch to Legacy Boot mode if available.

3. DiskPart and Disk Management:
- If you encounter errors in DiskPart, try using Disk Management in Windows to create partitions.
- Press Win + R, type diskmgmt.msc, and hit Enter. Right-click on the unallocated space and select "New Simple Volume" to create a partition.

4. Resolve I/O Device Error:
- If you're getting an I/O device error during partition creation, it could indicate a hardware issue with the drive.
- Confirm that the HDD connections are secure. You can also try using a different SATA port or cable.
5. Update BIOS and Drivers:
- Visit the Dell support website using another computer, enter your laptop's service tag, and download the latest BIOS and chipset drivers. Install them on your laptop.
6. Physical Inspection:
- If all else fails, consider physically inspecting the hard drive connections and replacing the hard drive with a new one if necessary.
### Additional Suggestions:
  • Data Backup: Before making any changes to your system, ensure you have backed up any important data to prevent data loss.
  • Professional Help: If you're unsure about any steps, consider seeking assistance from a professional technician or Dell support.
By following these steps, you should be able to troubleshoot the issues you're facing with reformatting your Dell laptop. If you encounter any specific errors or require further assistance, feel free to ask for help!

Solution
Back