Windows 7 Can't install integration components - W2k on W7 VPC

rlincolnh

Extraordinary Member
I'm running W7 RC1 x64 on my new i7 machine. I have successfully installed and run XP Mode without problems. Today I decided to install W2k in VPC. All went well, with the installation completing normally, but then I clicked on Install Integration Components and nothing happened. As per the dialog box which advises you to open the CD in the VM and run Setup if nothing happens, I did just that. But I get an error message to the effect that setup is not a valid win32 executable, and I can't find a way around it. In other respects the VM appears ok - I have internet access, and I d/l and installed SP4, etc.

So, a couple of questions:

1. Should I be able to Install Integration Components on a W2k VM?

2. If yes, does anyone have a suggestion?

Roger

Well,, My first question is,,,

Why windows 2000? it is old, antiquated and unsupported now. I am looking around, but probably not supported in this environment.

You may need to use VirtualBox instead

Last edited:
Well,, My first question is,,,

Why windows 2000? it is old, antiquated and unsupported now. I am looking around, but probably not supported in this environment.

Windows 2000 is, as of only a few days ago, still supported! I receive regular security updates just as I do in Windows XP. I cannot speak for rlincolnh, but I continue to use Windows 2000 on a somewhat regular basis because it is significantly more stable than XP, Vista and Windows 7 combined and it supports certain old hardware and software that nothing since Windows 2000 supports well. Actually, the only downside to 2000 is the fact that so many third party software developers have abandoned it.

I am sorry rlincolnh that I cannot answer your question concerning your Windows 2000 installation as I only use an OS as an installed program.

Hmm,,, seems 2000 is still supported,,, I thought it ended along with 9X version support. My Bad.
Still,, doesn't mean it would be supported in the same way as XP is supported under Windoes 7 XP Mode which is what I think the OP is looking for.

Also,, I think if you upgrade your hardware (and yes, you do need to upgrade pc's to accomodate new technology), your 7 and even Vista experience would change. Cause I will say it again.... I have not had one single problem at all, not one, of any of the problems you complain about. Vista/7 are extremely solid OS's. Not a single BSOD that I did not cause myself, since a week before Vista was released. I can not, will not say that about XP or even 2000. Purchase proper hardware and things will change.

Actually,, I have a P4 3G with 2G ram I think that I am going to setup for my wife with a bunch of software.
I think I will test 7 out on this and see what happens. But our main system,, again,,, no problems.

Last edited:
John is right, W2k is rock-solid, and thanks to Ida Pro, Russinovich & Co, and near-on 10 years experience with it, I know W2k inside out. After W3, W3.1, and NT4 it was a breath of fresh air. and it is still my main work system. My only problem with it is, as John said, is that it is being abandoned by developers (and MS - I can't run the latest Visual Studio, among other things). I built my i7 system simply to try out W7, and I have to say that I definitely will be changing over to it, but the W2k system will remain in operation for quite a few years to come.

Roger

I agree, and should have mentioned VPC2007,,, but as stated I think the OP is looking for Win2000 Mode.

I do not think that you can use Win 2000 like you can XP Mode. It is strictly XP mode... but again,,, VirtualBox has a similar mode that might work with Win 2000.

Win2k Main Stream Support did end in 2005 and Extended Support ends 7/13/2010

Meaning that if they had any ideas of implementing a W2k type XP mode in 7, they would not, due to the main stream support has already ended. Extended Support only relates to needed updates. Other than that, no development from MS is being done at all in regards to W2k.

This is also true for XP as Main Stream Support ended 4/14/2009 (unless there is some unofficial extended main stream support right now, which I believe likely). However, that will end soon after 7 goes public, and then MS will end main stream development and only release needed updates till 4/8/2014. But you will see XP development drop, I think, rapidly over the next year and half or so by the 3rd party vendors. Personal opinion, much quicker than people think.

The word will get out, is getting out that 7 is not Vista (although a solid system) and that they should give it a try.
7 will take off here soon. Unless Obama really screws our economy to all hell. Then it won;t matter anyway.
Not trying to start something political, but it is relevant.

Last edited:
Guys, I'm afraid your probably right on just about all counts. I might give VPC2007 and Virtual Box a try.

Thanks, Roger

VMWare is good,,,but Vbox is free. Not perfect, but it does work well with occasional crashes, but it's free.
VPC2007 will work,, but I am not sure it will give you the integration like Vbox or XP Mode. Where you can start the VM and then work in integrated mode and have access to both the VM and Host Machine. Which is a pretty cool feature.

Thanks for the tips. I installed VBox and I'm stunned by the increased performance over VPC. It has messed up my network a little, but nothing I can't live with until I figure it out.

Roger

Give a KVM switch a try

rlincolnh, Let me present you something to consider. Despite having used computers regularly since mid '80's (DOS 3), my skill level remains relatively low. I find virtualization and dual booting more complicated and troublesome than it is worth. Computers that are capable of running Windows 2000 are quite available and inexpensive. I have a Windows 7 box, a Windows XP box, a Windows 2000 box and a linux box (still searching for a Linux version that is servicable) all lined up and connected by a 4 station KVM switch. A double click on "scroll lock" and selection of desired computer number is all that is required to switch. What I'm saying here is that a $50 used computer and a $15 KVM switch would give you a totally no hassle Windows 2000 application and you can forget all the hassles (and limitations) of virtualization.

Networking was the biggest thing I didn't like on Virtual Box. Bridging was a real pain and the only way I found to network.. I switched to VMware Workstation.
Joe

Actually though,,,, Virtualization is the wave of the future.
Some day,,, most everything will be virtualized.

Right now it is mostly on the Server side,,, but soon it will be everywhere.

VMWare is better, but costs money. Win 7 XP Mode should be good for most people.

Last edited:
Back