centralized document storage

Qiana Estill

We want to implement a centralized document storage that will allow us organize our office documents and will be able to support multiple file types particularly our ms office based files. We've been seeing a lot of document management software around the web but most of them looks complicated to use and might cause a big change in our current business rules. If possible and if you know something else, we prefer a system with minimalist approach that would allow our staff to easily adapt the process from manual to digital. Thank you.

Hi,
I worked for 2 of the best companies that developed, manufactured, and sold commercial centralized document storage systems, FILENET, and KOFAX back in the 80s and 90s. Filenet was the first commercial company to develop this technology and they have since been acquired by IBM. Here's a link to that technology/company on Wikipedia: FileNet - Wikipedia.
The 2nd company Kofax, was a spin-off from Filenet, and ported the software down to the PC market, where you could run the imaging software on everyday PCs with add-in Cards that could go inside the PC case. 2 of the 3 founders of Filenet founded Kofax, one of the reasons I went to work for them. Kofax is still in business at the same location I worked at nearly 30 years ago when they started. Here's their website: First Mile | Smart Process Apps | Document & Data Capture Software | Kofax They are still in Irvine, CA. Their solutions were an innovative solution to the much larger mini-computer based systems from Filenet that typically cost hundreds of thousands of dollars EACH.:cash:

Many large commercial companies such as Banks, Credit Unions, Hospitals, Government Agencies, School Districts, and other major financial organizations use technology from 1 of these 2 companies today for centralized documents storage and they are still the best choice by far. You may be able to find cheaper solutions, but not better ones. During my career I worked for many different types of companies in many types of vertical and niche markets, and most of them chose either of these companies for this particular application since they pretty much developed and still own the market.

P.S. These solutions are NOT cheap, so unless you have a pretty sizeable company, say $100M/year in revenue, chances are you won't be able to afford these types of systems. I'm sure there are knock-offs out there in the years since I worked in that industry for much smaller companies; but you will have to research that on your own. At least this way you can read up on the Technology that's being used by the Fortune1000 companies as well as the Banking & Healthcare industries and become more knowledgeable on what they use for this particular application.

Best of luck,:cheerful:

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Sorry, it took me days to respond. Well, I am about to consider ETQ, but when I checked Kofax, the one you advice, I think it is much better. Anyway, I am gonna read more about its details and I will let you know once I have finished. I appreciate your help--- SO muuuucccch.... TY

Back