Changing the look of Windows

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Help and Support' started by kaycee65, May 2, 2008.

1. kaycee65

kaycee65 New Member

I am trying to see just how far I can go with Windows Vista to change the look and feel of it. I have changed my desktop drammatically but I need to know if it is possible somehow to lock the icons in place so that they can't be moved about. I like the look of it and don't want it changed accidentally (like I've done a few times):confused: :)
    Also how do I post a picture on here from my harddrive? Then I could show you my desktop (although I'm starting to call it the Front Page). :D

2. Celestra

Celestra Former Moderator

3. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Hi Kaycee, if you right-click on the desktop and then personalise you'll see in the left-hand column the words 'Desktop Icons'. Its here you can make a few more icons semi-permanent.
    To capture a 'screen shot' of your desktop first hit the 'printscreen' key (normally located next to F12,this is the key that takes the screenshot). Then open the 'Paint' utility and make sure the mouse cursor is inside the white box and hit ctrl+v. Voila, you'll see your desktop appear ready for you to save..

[​IMG]

as I said above, just make sure your cursor is inside the box you see above and hit ctrl+V.

[​IMG]

again after I've hit Ctrl+v. Then just save the image to which-ever folder you want to..
    Any problems post back..:D

4. davehc

davehc Microsoft MVP
    Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Right click the desktop. Select "View". Tick "Auto arrange and "Align to grid.
    You will then find that if you move an icon out of position, it will immediately jump back to where it belongs.

5. kaycee65

kaycee65 New Member

Here is a pic of my desktop. It's just eight icons on the desktop but made much bigger (click on desktop, hold down CTRL and roll scroll wheel on mouse). What I want to do, if at all possible, is lock those icons in place so they can't be moved and can't be made smaller or larger. Can it be done in Vista?

6. kemical

Did you read Davehc's post?

7. kaycee65

kaycee65 New Member

I read the post but that's not what I want to do. :) I want to lock the icons in place so that they can't be moved at all (align to grid doesn't do this). Also is there any way to make sure that when I install programs etc... that they DO NOT put an icon on the desktop? :confused:

8. 03hdfatboy

03hdfatboy Banned

As long as you don't have it set to align to grid and auto arrange, the icons should not move. And as far as I know when your installing a program some of them ask about creating a desktop icon and some don't. If you don't want it, delete it. As for myself I don't use desktop Icons. It clutters up the screen.
    just my 2 cents. :D

9. davehc

davehc Microsoft MVP

If you do not have those options selected, the icons are most certainly not locked and can be moved freely.

10. 03hdfatboy

03hdfatboy Banned

I never said they would be locked. What I'm saying is they wont move automatically.:rolleyes:

11. kemical

Fatboy is correct about when installing programs that most give you the option to have a desktop icon or not. I also don't have icons on the desktop apart from the 'bin'....

12. davehc

davehc Microsoft MVP

See the OP's request:
    "What I want to do, if at all possible, is lock those icons in place so they can't be moved and can't be made smaller or larger."

13. 03hdfatboy

03hdfatboy Banned

you got me on that one...good luck.