Windows 7 Computer crashes on USB or audio cable - Must be a grounding issue

Bobazonski

I've established that this is a grounding issue. About one third of the time, if I plug a USB device in, ANY device, the monitor will go blank, audio will stop, and I have to manually force a restart. If I tap the device on the metal case before plugging it in, and let the static discharge, the frequency of the computer resetting goes down to about one in 30 times - better, but still not completely fixed.

With USB devices, I usually use a hub that's wired around to a rear mobo port, but the two front case ports do the same, wired to a header on the mobo. I also tried a PCI hub, and this did the same thing also. With audio devices, it seems to only be the case ports, not the rear ports, but I plug these in much less frequently, so it's hard to know for sure.

I get tired of losing all my unsaved stuff everytime this happens, so it's really irritating.

Basically, I want to know how to fix this, now that I know it's some sort of grounding issue.

(This just came to mind, and I never realized it before. The hub that is wired around to the back is also connected a FDD power supply connector. Could this possibly be causing the problem? I've had it this way since I first built the computer.)

Back