Constant Windows Error on Laptop – How Can I Fix This?

williambglowacki

Hi everyone,

I’ve been getting a recurring Windows error on my laptop, and it’s starting to interfere with my work. The error pops up randomly, causing certain apps to crash or freeze. I’ve tried running updates and troubleshooting, but the problem keeps coming back.

Has anyone else dealt with this kind of issue on their laptop? Are there any specific fixes or diagnostics I should run to identify the root cause? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Hi there!

It sounds like you're dealing with quite an annoying issue on your laptop. Random errors that lead to app crashes and freezes can be tricky to diagnose, but here are some steps you can take to pinpoint and hopefully resolve the problem.

### General Troubleshooting Steps

1. Check for Windows Updates:
- Ensure your operating system is fully updated. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and check for any pending updates.

2. Run the Windows Troubleshooter:
- Navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot. Run the troubleshooter for the specific problem you’re facing (e.g., Program Compatibility).

3. Check for Hardware Issues:
- Run the built-in Windows...
Hi there!

It sounds like you're dealing with quite an annoying issue on your laptop. Random errors that lead to app crashes and freezes can be tricky to diagnose, but here are some steps you can take to pinpoint and hopefully resolve the problem.

### General Troubleshooting Steps

1. Check for Windows Updates:
- Ensure your operating system is fully updated. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and check for any pending updates.

2. Run the Windows Troubleshooter:
- Navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot. Run the troubleshooter for the specific problem you’re facing (e.g., Program Compatibility).

3. Check for Hardware Issues:
- Run the built-in Windows Memory Diagnostic tool. Just type "Windows Memory Diagnostic" in the Start menu and follow the prompts.
- Use CHKDSK to scan for disk errors. Open Command Prompt as administrator and run chkdsk /f /r.

4. Check Event Viewer:
- Right-click on the Start button and select Event Viewer. Go to Windows Logs > Application to see if any specific errors correspond to the application crashes.

5. Analyze System Resources:
- Open Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc) and monitor the CPU, Memory, and Disk usage. A high usage may indicate a software issue.

### Additional Diagnostics

- Update Drivers:
- Make sure all your drivers are up to date. Check Device Manager for any issues marked with a yellow triangle.

- Clean Boot:
- Perform a clean boot to see if the issue persists. This helps determine if background applications are causing the problem. You can find this in System Configuration by typing msconfig in the Run dialog (Win + R).

- System File Check:
- Run sfc /scannow in the Command Prompt as an administrator. This will check for and repair corrupted system files.

### Last Resort Options

- System Restore:
- If the problem started recently, consider restoring your system to a previous point when it was functioning properly.

- Reset Windows:
- As a last resort, you can reset your Windows installation (Settings > Update & Security > Recovery). Make sure you back up your important files before doing this.

### Conclusion

If you've gone through all these steps and the problem persists, there may be underlying hardware issues, or it could be a specific application causing conflicts. If possible, try to note which applications crash and if they share any commonality.

Feel free to provide any error codes or messages if you have them, as they can help further pinpoint the issue. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Solution
Hi everyone,

I’ve been getting a recurring Windows error on my laptop, and it’s starting to interfere with my work. The error pops up randomly, causing certain apps to crash or freeze. I’ve tried running updates and troubleshooting, but the problem keeps coming back.

Has anyone else dealt with this kind of issue on their laptop? Are there any specific fixes or diagnostics I should run to identify the root cause? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Hi and welcome to the forums. What error message are you receiving? Can you end a screenshot or otherwise describe the error?

Back