Windows 10 Copy paste from host to Hyper-V Ubuntu VM in enhanced session mode adds duplicate new lines

gorantornqvist

I deployed the Ubuntu 18.04 VM that comes with Windows 10 and then enabled enhanced session mode.
Everything work fine except when I copy multiline text from the host and paste it in the VM.
Each linebreak adds an extra line when I paste so if I copy text:

somecommand --switch1 \
switch2 \
switch 3

The pasted text will be:

somecommand --switch1 \

switch2 \

switch 3

Which will make multiline copy/paste quite unusable.
Any solution to this issue?

Thanks ...

To address the issue you're experiencing with copy-pasting multiline text between host and VM in Ubuntu 18.04, where extra line breaks are inserted, you might apply the following troubleshooting steps:

1. Check Clipboard Settings: Ensure that clipboard settings are properly configured in Ubuntu 18.04. Verify that the clipboard mode in Ubuntu is set to integrate with the host system correctly. You might need to adjust settings to properly handle line breaks during copy-pasting between the host and the VM.

2. Host and VM Clipboard Integration: Review the enhanced session mode settings in the Hyper-V Manager on the host side. Ensure that clipboard integration is enabled and set up to support text copying and pasting accurately between the host and VM. Adjust any clipboard options that may impact text formatting during transfers.

3. Terminal Compatibility: Check the terminal emulator used in Ubuntu 18.04. Some terminal applications in Linux handle line endings differently, which can lead to discrepancies in text formatting. Experiment with different terminal emulators to determine if the issue persists across multiple applications.

4. Text Editors: Verify how different text editors handle copy-pasting multiline text. Some text editors may interpret line endings differently, causing discrepancies during pasting. You may want to use a different text editor or adjust settings within the current editor to optimize paste behavior.

5. Testing: Experiment with various scenarios, terminal applications, and text editors to identify whether the issue is pervasive across the system or limited to specific applications. This can help pinpoint the root cause and guide you toward an effective solution.

6. Documentation and Forums: Check Ubuntu community forums, documentation, or specific application support forums to see if others have encountered similar issues and if any specific workarounds or solutions are available.

By following these steps, you can troubleshoot the behavior of multiline text copy-pasting between the host and Ubuntu 18.04 VM more effectively and potentially address the formatting discrepancies you are facing.

Back