Copy protect USB files

virangs

Hello,

I would like to load up USBs with songs and talks. Then I would like to copy protect them. The user should be able to see the list of songs or talks and can select the one they want to listen. But they should not be able to copy it onto their PC and then freely distribute it.

I have evaluated a few downloads and they all encrypt the files and it is not possible to see the list of songs or talks.

Any suggestions welcome. TIA.

That wouldn't really be possible unless you controlled the machines the songs were played on. Read access to files essentially allows you to read the data and copy.

Thanks Neemobeer for the quick response. Need enhancement to separate read and copy properties. This way file can be accessed in clear but cannot be copied.

Well there really isn't anything to enhance. This is normal operation of any operating system and you're unlikely to find that level of control from an OS out of the box. Accessing data (ie playing a song) is basically a matter of having read access from the source media location. The data is loaded into memory and the sound is outputted to your audio device. A copy function is that initial source read access (into memory) and write access/action (to the destination location). Your options would be either being able to conditionally control access to the media via middleware on the consuming device or the usb device would need to be encrypted with a proprietary software solution that is only view able from a proprietary software application. Even then it would need to block things like screen capture for text and graphics or some how prevent the recording of the audio/video files.

As mentioned above, you would need to use some kind of proprietary digital rights management software for this. Under a typical use case scenario, it's not really something feasible. If someone can read/listen to it, they can copy it.

Is it possible to add a feature to a file that it does not have "File -> Save As" and "File -> Save" attributes? The file can be read into system memory for Application SW to read or play, but the user cannot save it in any way. When the user quits the application, then the file is removed from system memory. As an example if a Word file is copy protected, Word can read the file and display. User can read the contents, but cannot save or modify it anywhere else. When the user quits the Word application, it is removed from system memory.

This is the enhancement I was thinking of, if it is not already there.

That functionally does exist but only in a corporate environment with Win RMS deployed and only on devices you control. It's unlikely Microsoft will release something like that on client only, nor would it be possible for files saved on a usb device on a device you don't control.

Back