Windows 10 Crash restart under heavy cpu load during gaming sometimes

Dorian1988

Extraordinary Member
Hi

I have been having problems when playing certain games where my pc freezes and restarts. It only happens with some CPU intensive games like Dying Light and now it is happening with Warframe. Power turns off and back on also during the restart. The funny thing is if I start up the same game again after the restart I have no problems for the rest of the day playing until I turn off my pc and resume the next day or so. Also when this happens a windows crash dump file is created even though it doesn't do the BSOD. I also get a WHEA logger fatal error in the event viewer. This is what the error is:

A fatal hardware error has occurred
Reported by component : Processor Core
Error source: Machine Check Exception
Error type: Bus/Interconnect Error
Processor APIC ID: 10

The APIC ID is random whenever the issue occurs. My PC specs are as follow:

Windows 10 Home X64 with build 19403 and latest updates
ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F WIFI GAMING updated to recent BIOS v2423
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3701MHz with Corsair H100i v2 Liguid Cooler
NVIDIA GEFORCE 1660Ti Video Card with latest driver from NVIDIA GEFORCE EXP APP
Hyper X Fury DDR4 3600MHz 8x4 (32GB currently installed with DOCP enabled)

I have attached some of the dump files so you can have a look and help me out. I have already started doing some troubleshooting and am going to do some other things to try and isolate and determine the problem.

Attachments

• Dorian1988 Crash Dumps.zip
    617.3 KB · Views: 141
Hi,

almost anything can cause a bugcheck 124 but after viewing your dump files I noticed Norton AV?

I'd try removing that as a test as previous experience tells me it's a possible cause.

ok. I will try that next troubleshooting step. So far I I have ruled out overheating cause I have been monitoring the temp of CPU and pump and the fans. I have now disabled DOCP overclocking profile in BIOS to see if the crash restart still happens. If it still happens I will try removing Norton or disabling it next.

Looks like it was the DOCP overclocking profile causing the issue. It looks like certain games don't like it for some reason. I have been playing and testing the game for over a week now with DOCP turned off in BIOS and no crash restarts have been happening since. I even left the game running for a few hours while not playing it and still no crash restarts.

However I am trying to find a way I can overclock the RAM to get it to work stable with all my games. Can you give me any advice?

I've had similar issues with previous boards I've had and one possible route round it is manually inputting the overclock yourself. Usually the timings are readily available with a quick google.

Further to the above, one app which you may find useful is the 'DRam Calculator':

DRAM Calculator for Ryzen (v1.7.3) Download

DRAM Calculator for Ryzen helps with overclocking your memory on the AMD Ryzen platform.

It suggests stable memory timing sets optimized for your memory kit, for example B-die.

Using Ryzen DRAM calculator you can achieve higher memory overclocks with better stability.

Ryzen DRAM calculator is designed to work with all AMD Ryzen Zen architecture first and second generation processors.

ok I will look into overclocking the RAM when I get a chance. My pc crashed restarted itself again not long ago with same WHEA error in event viewer but this time no crash dump file was created. So looks like disabling DOCP didn't completely fix the problem but I will keep it off for now. I am going to try disabling norton when playing.

It happened again only this time I was there when it happened and I noticed the power stayed on. So I am going to rule out it being a hardware issue. It also happened to a different game. Halo Infinite multiplayer beta with the same error in event viewer and this time a crash dump was created. It is looking like a software or windows issue.

I ran scannow it found some corrupted files which it fixed. I haven't had any more crashes since. I am also thinking it could be a hardware setting in ryzen master or some other software that some games don't like. Do you know of any settings that can cause such issues? I have just default profile settings in Ryzen Master.

I rarely use apps like Ryzen master if only to monitor the system. Is the Ryzen master applying an overclock when enabled? If so try running without the app and see if it helps.
I do overclock my system (see my cpu-z below) but do this via the bios which imo is much safer.

ok. The crash restart happened again on the 26 Jan 2022. This time I didn't have Ryzen Master enabled while playing. Also this time the event viewer error was slightly different. The error type was Cache Hierarchy error instead of bus interconnect error.

ok. The crash restart happened again on the 26 Jan 2022. This time I didn't have Ryzen Master enabled while playing. Also this time the event viewer error was slightly different. The error type was Cache Hierarchy error instead of bus interconnect error.
Try running a DISM scan.

File scans
Run an admin command prompt and type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

Hi Again,

I ran sfc /scannow and didn't get any integrity violations. I also ran dism scan and it completed 100% successfully.

I also attached the recent dump file to this reply.

Attachments

• 030522-12312-01.zip
    518.7 KB · Views: 104
Hi,

thanks for uploading the dump file.

I noticed a couple of things which may help:

Your bios version is currently:

BaseBoardProduct = ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI)
BiosVersion = 2423
BiosReleaseDate = 08/10/2021

There is an update:

Version 2604
2022/03/07 20.53 MBytes
ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING(WI-FI) BIOS 2604
1. Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.6b

2. Improve system performance and stability

ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | ROG Strix | Gaming Motherboards|ROG - Republic of Gamers|ROG United Kingdom

Secondly, how did you get on running the machine without Norton AV? At one time Norton was a real obvious choice when dealing twith blue screens so it might be worth pursuing?

ok. I will update the bios again later in the week and see if that fixes it.

To run the pc and game without Norton AV I just used the uninstall tool and uninstalled it but kept the cofig settings. When I wanted to reinstall it I just downloaded the installer again and it installed it and found the existing settings and account.

ok. I will update the bios again later in the week and see if that fixes it.

To run the pc and game without Norton AV I just used the uninstall tool and uninstalled it but kept the cofig settings. When I wanted to reinstall it I just downloaded the installer again and it installed it and found the existing settings and account.
Did it seem to help?

Do you pay for Norton?

It seemed to help but I don' know for sure. It didn't crash until a couple of days ago but this time it froze and didn't restart the pc. Yeah I did pay for Norton 360.

Back
Top Bottom