Windows 10 Creators Update failure

I have been trying to install the Creators Update for weeks now and it fails to install every time.
Within seconds of clicking 'Restart' after downloading, the attached message appears and the installation fails.
What does this message mean?

Attachments

• IMG_20170617_130534.jpg
    IMG_20170617_130534.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 325
This error isn't a failed update. Looks like explorer crashing in user space. I started by checking for problems with your current Windows install.

From an elevated command prompt run the following reboot
  • chkdsk C: /R (accept the prompt to run on reboot)
  • sfc /scannow

I have been trying to install the Creators Update for weeks now and it fails to install every time.
Within seconds of clicking 'Restart' after downloading, the attached message appears and the installation fails.
What does this message mean?
How old is your machine and current windows 10 install?

This error isn't a failed update. Looks like explorer crashing in user space. I started by checking for problems with your current Windows install.

From an elevated command prompt run the following reboot
  • chkdsk C: /R (accept the prompt to run on reboot)
  • sfc /scannow
I tried both of your suggestions last night and still the same error message appears as soon as I click on Restart

My computer specs:

HP Pavilion 500-120ea, intel core i5-4440 CPU 3.10GHz,
12GB RAM, 1TB HD,
Windows 10(64 bit),
Firefox 54.0, Norton Security Deluxe 22.9.4.8

I have tried all suggestions from the internet including disabling my AV (Norton), disconnecting all periperal devices and disconnecting ethernet and wifi before trying to install.

To be honest from what i've read on the net as well as experienced in the forum that older machines are (some not all) having issues with the Creators update. The general feeling is to wait a while and see if the bug's not to mention drivers are released/fixed.
This link may help with at least information:
Check this List to Determine if Your Computer is Compatible with the Windows 10 Creators Update or Anniversary Update or Not
Thanks for this.
I have checked the HP website and any machines pre 2013 are not supported by HP for Windows 10.
My wife's HP laptop is the same age and it updated to Creators with no problems at all.

In my experience, HP has more problems with W10 updates than just about any of the other brands, such as Dell, Acer/Gateway, Samsung. :andwhat: Also, generally speaking hardware can often fail or partially fail on computers that old! Example is the hard drive, which is only designed in modern computers to last for only 2 years! o_O If you are the original owner of that HP computer and you've never replaced the hard drive or paid someone to do so, there's a very high probability that's it's failing or completely failed. Take a look here to test your hard drive:
HARD DRIVE DIAGNOSTICS:
Hard Drive Diagnostic Procedure

If you wish to do more hardware testing, for example your RAM sticks, check here:
MEMORY DIAGNOSTICS:
Memory Diagnostics

Some Microsoft major updates, are more problematic than others but we have lots and lots of problems here with every major update since RTM. Generally speaking, if you have a well-maintained and good running computer, the Updates will go in with some coaxing, but will almost never go in automatically- a well documented fact on the Internet. For example, there are many new viruses which target W10 machines that go after breaking either your Windows Update (WU) feature from working, or will attempt to block your ability to upgrade a given machine to the newest W10 version, in this case, v1703, W10 CU. The 2 things I see most that keep machines from completing the W10 CU update are a failing or failed hard drive or virus/malware infection. In that regard, have you scanned for viruses, spyware viruses, and rootkits with your AV or MALWAREBYTES yet?

I will also mention, that it's well know that folks here including myself have been able to get some older HP's to work with various versions of W10, including RTM, and AU with pre-2013 HPs that show no support on their website.:fdance: I have one here that's built 2011-2012 on W7-era hardware, with a Vista OS originally. This machine updated to both RTM and AU. Have not gotten around to updating it to CU (v1703), but chances are it will go Ok since it's a solid machine. ;)

Another thing you may not be aware of unless you've been doing a lot of reading on the various tech forums, is that in most cases, you will need to do a W10 Clean Install to get your CU update to go in. Regardless of what it did on your wife's computer, even though the same age, it could be a completely different hardware model (CPU, Chipset, BIOS, Video chip etc. etc.). Clean Installs are your best bet as our Admins will tell you along with anyone doing this for a living (Computer repair). Take a look here to get the free MCT tool download from Microsoft website:Download Windows 10

Best of luck,:encouragement:
Let us know how you get on.
<<BIGBEARJEDI>>

Back