Windows 7 Customizing Windows 7 Start Menu via script

guicm

Hi All

I am trying to do this:

1) Write a script to rename the My Music library to something else (e.g. My Menu), remove the existing folders, include my own folder, and choose General Items for "Customize library for".

2) Write a script to show My Music library (now known as My Menu because of step 1 above) as Menu in Start Menu. That is, script has to do what we manually do - Start Menu -> Properties -> Start Men -> Customize -> My Music - Show as Menu.

Searching the web, I found that task 1 above may be possible using the IShellLibrary Interface object which requires Visual .NET C++ or C# which I am not familiar.
Link Removed due to 404 Error [^]
Is it possible to do task 1 by changing some registry entries?
Does not seem possible with Vbscript and powershell.

I cannot find anything on task 2 above. Can somebody advise?

Thank you very much in anticipation

Gui

Why exactly do you want to rename the folder in the first place, it's called 'Music' for a good reason? You can customize the link in the start menu by right-clicking on 'Music' and choosing 'Properties', then you can choose which folders it points to. So you could remove the existing links and make your own folder wherever you like and make 'Music' just point to that folder. Also you can choose to customize it for 'General Items' as you mentioned, rather than the default 'Music'.

Hope that helps a bit :)

thank you gavin19 for the reply.

i know how to do it manually. i want to be able to do it using a script. that is, run a script to do the two abovementioned tasks.

i want to rename My Music to something else because i am not going to put music files into it.
i want to put my own custom menu to it -- the purpose is to have my own custom menu pinned to the right side of the start menu.

Okay, i think the 'solution' to this lies in Default user profile. not really what we want -- but guess we have to live with it .... still working on it.

Back