Windows Vista Desire to separate master sound control from devices

wkool

I am running Windows 7 on a nearly brand-new HP Pavilion DV6. I am trying to use Audacity to record a live radio stream playing in Windows Media Player. I am trying to use the Volume Control to do what I am trying to do: In order for the Audacity recording to be of sufficient volume for playback, I have to turn up the sound on Windows Media Player in the Volume Control. This necessitates me also turning up the "master" volume on the speakers in the Volume Control because putting the "master" volume low sets a governor on all the other volumes. But I don't WANT the speakers to blare. I just want to turn up the "internal" volume on Windows Media Player so I can record this properly! :(

My speakers are directly linked to that "master" volume control.

Can I remove the governor link between the "master" volume and the individual program/device volumes? That would be exactly what I need, and there was no governor in Windows XP.

See screenshot attached.

--Wkool

Attachments

• point1..jpg
    point1..jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 492
Do your speakers have an external volume control? If so then it would just a case of turning up the volume on WMP but using the 'physical' volume control on the speakers to limit the overall loudness...

I am using the internal speakers of the laptop. There is no "hardware" volume adjuster for them. They are controlled by the touch-slider above the keyboard. This touch slider is linked with the "master" volume I mentioned before. If I change the touch-slider, the "master" volume changes identically, and vice versa.

Gotcha..
Isn't this just a case of altering recording levels though? Mind you, I've never used the app you mention and so apologise if I'm talking out of my behind.. :)

Back