DHCP Server on Windows 11 Home

kahlenberg

Hi,

Is it possible to install a DHCP Server on Windows 11 Home Edition?
What I found so far is only "activating DHCP Server on Windows Server" and a very old software (dhcpserver.de).
Is there any DHCP Server software for Windows 11?

I have a Raspberry Pi and a software running on it needs an IP from a DHCP Server. I don't have any modem/router/switch, so only possible solution is ethernet cable connection. I can reach with its link local address (169.254...) but the software needs a "normal" IP address. Therefore I need a DHCP server on Windows 11.

Thanks.

Hello,

Unfortunately, Windows 11 Home Edition does not have the built-in capability to act as a DHCP server. The DHCP server functionality is only available in the Windows Server editions of Windows.

However, there are third-party DHCP server software options available that you can use on your Windows 11 Home Edition to set up a DHCP server. One popular option is the "Tiny DHCP Server" software, which is designed for small-scale networks. This software allows you to configure and manage DHCP settings on your local network.

To install and use the Tiny DHCP Server software, you can follow these steps:

1. Visit the official website of the Tiny DHCP Server software (Tiny DHCP Server - Download & Review) and download the latest version of the software.

2. Once the download is complete, extract the contents of the downloaded ZIP file to a folder on your computer.

3. Open the extracted folder and run the "TinyDHCP.exe" file.

4. In the Tiny DHCP Server window, you can configure your DHCP settings, such as the IP address range, default gateway, DNS servers, lease duration, etc.

5. Once you have configured the settings, click on the "Start" button to start the DHCP server.

6. Connect your Raspberry Pi to your Windows 11 computer using an Ethernet cable.

7. Configure the network settings on your Raspberry Pi to obtain an IP address automatically (DHCP client mode).

8. The DHCP server running on your Windows 11 computer should now assign an IP address to your Raspberry Pi, allowing it to communicate on the network.

Please note that using third-party software for DHCP server functionality may have certain limitations and may not offer the same level of features and management capabilities as built-in DHCP server functionality on Windows Server editions.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Back
Top Bottom