Windows 7 Dial Up command without dialing digits & without dial tone

Radiomange

I have a need to use a dial-up connection with a voice phone line & modem as there is NOTHING else available! There is no DSL, No cable, No cell coverage and no path for Satellite. In this case, I need to dial the ISP manually using the landline phone and then have the modem negotiate a connection. Normally the modem will want to listen for dial tone and then dial a number before it will negotiate. Years ago it was possible to issue an ATO command that would force a negotiation. How can I do this in Windows 7 now?? Does anyone have an external dialer that would work?

You should be able to uncheck "wait for dial tone"

Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Phone and Modem Options

Do you not have cell coverage either? Dial-up on even simple pages in 2018 is horrid :p

Nothing but dial-up. Not a hint of cell coverage. In the 1930s the Fed Govt told telephone companies that if they wanted to cover the cities, they had to cover everything. The current politics will not make cell companies cover anything. I got a WiFi hotspot running using a dial-up connection so that the cell phone will work. It's fairly responsive as the cell uses minimal data. There is actually a router/modem combination still being sold to provide this: WiFi Wireless Dial Up Router for Dialup ISP Connections

Where the heck do you live? LOL

This is a friend of mine, not me. He lives in SW VA on a mountainside right next to West Virginia. I have been all over the US and there are people living "out there" in many places. It's a fight to keep the landline working here. The cables are over 50 years old.

That "WiFi Wireless Dial UpRouter for Dialup ISP Connections" above is a link. Looking at it now I would never know, but it is an interesting product. for a wealthy nation as this, it's a shame. How does anyone think the kids are going to get homework done?

In this situation the best remedy would be satellite, whether you have to put the dish up on a pole, or rent a trencher and run underground network cable to a clearing to be able to put a dish where it can get signal.

Back