Windows 7 Did you have the same thoughts of mine?

MsYau

The Windows 7 can run just only 192MB Ram.:D

But the installation need 512MB Ram to run.:frown:

And they just raised the system requirments.

Most software company made their software just need very low system requirments.

But Windows 7............:confused:

I think they should use Command Line Interface instead of using the Graphic User Interface.

Did you all have the same thoughts?:cool:

Not really. RAM is so cheap no it's irrelevant. I'm running Windows7 on an HP Mini-note with a 1.2Ghz processor and it runs fine. The computer is no speed demon but Win7 runs as well as WindowsXP did. As to command line versus GUI, it's a done deal. GUI is here to stay.

...What?
2 things; Windows XP+ should NOT be run on less than 512 MB of RAM, and in an ideal Situation, less than 1 GB.
& No GUI? Yeah, cause we all want to go back to the days when you had to type out everything.
Go get yourself a copy of DOS and forget about this "Windows" thing. :p

...What?
2 things; Windows XP+ should NOT be run on less than 512 MB of RAM, and in an ideal Situation, less than 1 GB.
& No GUI? Yeah, cause we all want to go back to the days when you had to type out everything.

I like gui.

But I do not like the amount of ram that the gui use.

And don't tell me that go get myself to forget no WIndows and use no DOS!!!!!!

And you better excuse my english!!

Not really. RAM is so cheap no it's irrelevant. I'm running Windows7 on an HP Mini-note with a 1.2Ghz processor and it runs fine. The computer is no speed demon but Win7 runs as well as WindowsXP did. As to command line versus GUI, it's a done deal. GUI is here to stay.

I know.

I like gui, and I do not like to type things all the time and remember the command.

And the gui in xp just use a little of RAM.:)

But the gui use too many of RAM :(.

Please excuse my english.:D

...What?
Is GUI the pretty stuff..? ya know what we see...? not all the text..... code? Then yea, just get more or allocatte more ram on hdd for OS. GUI...? Is this 8086 days...? Come on...... even I as a dummy bricklayer can command the OS to use x of my 2 gig physical ram and use y of pagefile (hdd) ram and be smart enuf to allocate it in the first place. That's a given. This MS 7 does suck a bunch of ram, but I bet 7/8 of it can be "told" by be to use pagefile. If I care to. No biggie. As I did with, 3.1, '95, '98, XPpro. Just gotta figure and take time to do so. I think MS just makes it possible for real (mass users) dummys to boot and surf. But, bricklayer dummies like me gotta know how to tweak. Linux in any flavor, ....you don't tweak... You just call it crap and give up and settle for MS for the masses. 512, hell..... that's plenty for pretty GUI.;)

Like use x for physical ram....... push all other y until I DECIDE to delete from HDD, or reboot. X is most recent tasks, y is what I used recently. Any OS will take your command to do that. But, not by default. You must set it up like that. Well, since 3.1 anyways......

I am using XP pro now, testing Windows 7. I like it. I do. I think it is a good, stable system. MS, is nice to let me test it prior to buying or thinking that I 'should' buy it. I will tweak and screw it up, but that's why it is on my machine. I care to have a fast, low maintaince OS, that I can mis-treat, abuse, tear apart, tweak, play with and do 'productive' things with. XPpro, provided that, heck it got faster with no blue screens of death even after a month of no reboots, than LinuxMint, I'll see. But, I am just a dummy bricklayer.

On a Server a CLI (command line Interface) is fine -- On SuSE Linux 11.1 I don't even start the 'X' server or a GUI --and most of the time don't even have a console connected -- I can always logon remotely).

For a Non server system ( Desktop / workstation etc) you really do need a GUI for running even the most basic of applications -- imagine a File explorer / navigator, spreadsheet, photo / imaging processing program or even a DVD / TV application without a GUI --all these apps would have to have their own video server if there was no GUI making programming really difficult anf almost impossible to get consistent on the 100,000's of different computer hardware.

Cheers
jimbo

On a Server a CLI (command line Interface) is fine -- On SuSE Linux 11.1 I don't even start the 'X' server or a GUI --and most of the time don't even have a console connected -- I can always logon remotely).

For a Non server system ( Desktop / workstation etc) you really do need a GUI for running even the most basic of applications -- imagine a File explorer / navigator, spreadsheet, photo / imaging processing program or even a DVD / TV application without a GUI --all these apps would have to have their own video server if there was no GUI making programming really difficult anf almost impossible to get consistent on the 100,000's of different computer hardware.

Cheers
jimbo

MS has excellent information on how and why to set up pagefile. They are right on, suggesting a different HDD with a separate partition..... makes every thing faster.......afterwards..... XPpro, ect.... don't use but a small cpu/ram, it's all the other crud I do on purpose ( just to test set up's) that will "attempt" to use ram and cpu, but is not allowed to, except during load.....and actual use. Linux same way..... I would suppose that 'other' Unix is similar but I don't pay attention..... I wanna have a big electronic drive for everything..... like a TB ram drive..... but saves like a platter..... now that'd be interesting... :cool:

Cheers
jimbo

Using Linux, I open up MS folders and just chop, chop.......(dvd+r/w) broke it once..... but no biggie..... loaded on HDD in 1 1/2 hours first time, second install (after chop-chop) took about 40 minutes...... weird..... working fine..... fast and no freezes.....:cool:

Back
Top Bottom