Windows 7 different ways to do a clean install

Wow .. he sure does it the hard way.... I would just download the ISO version from microsoft that matched my key and burn it. The links are in my last blog.

Wow .. he sure does it the hard way.... I would just download the ISO version from microsoft that matched my key and burn it. The links are in my last blog.
I can't let your comment stand.... SuperSarge pointed out a trick (if you read as far as Method 2) that saves a double install with an upgrade disk and upgrade key. The key with with an upgrade disk will only work with an upgrade disk and there is nothing gained by downloading an ISO that matches the key since you must have the upgrade disk if you have the key. I wouldn't call a single install with a simple registry hack the hard way. I would love to hear your short way to a clean install with an upgrade key and an upgrade disk without hacking the registry. By the way, which ISO would you propose to let one do a single install with an upgrade key?

I can't let your comment stand.... SuperSarge pointed out a trick (if you read as far as Method 2) that saves a double install with an upgrade disk and upgrade key. The key with with an upgrade disk will only work with an upgrade disk and there is nothing gained by downloading an ISO that matches the key since you must have the upgrade disk if you have the key. I wouldn't call a single install with a simple registry hack the hard way. I would love to hear your short way to a clean install with an upgrade key and an upgrade disk without hacking the registry. By the way, which ISO would you propose to let one do a single install with an upgrade key?

I stand corrected.

I was using my upgrade key WITH the digital rivers upgrade download. It worked.. even though I made a bootable usb, shut down my system and unplugged all driver but one that was clean/formatted.

I just wasted 2 hours doing an install with the full copy and it wouldn't take the upgrade key.

I've looked into the upgrade files and only 3 files were updated when it extracted them from the box downloads. I compared them and they are the same size and ei.cfg has the same contents.

There must be something different in boot.wim or intall.wim in sources that is tipping off microsoft that you are using a full verson with an upgrade key. The stuff that has to be modified in the registry is coming from somewhere.

Can it be this simple?

After spending a half hour comparing the files between the upgrade and the full install.... I only found ONE thing that was different.

In ie.cfg the UPGRADE version has blank lines between the settings... the Full install does not.

Upgrade:
[EditionID]
Ultimate

[Channel]
Retail

[VL]

Full:
[EditionID]
Ultimate
[Channel]
Retail
[VL]

So... I simply deleted ei.cfg from my FULL install..... did the install and chose Home Preminum ...which I have a valid key for

Installed AND activated... with absolutely NO registry hacks/tricks and not running rearm... or ANYTHING else.
It took my upgrade Key first time.. and activated successfully slmgr -xpr shows permantently activated.

Can anyone else verify this works for them?

Can it be this simple?
Can anyone else verify this works for them?

Stilll noone has tested this? It would be remarkable easier to delete ei.cfg and have a full version accept an upgrade key... than to do all this registry editing, reaming and rebooting.

Simple? I'll keep it simple & smply use a Full Version :)

Drew

When I was in college I was so broke I would sit on the steps and grinde a penny down till it would pass for a dime in a coke machine. Some college student's haven't received the Obama bail out yet and may need to do a clean install with their upgrade key. I guess I'm like Clinton... I feel your pain.

Back