Windows 7 Disable WiFi, Enable Ethernet?

BigSurreal

Hey folks!

I'm trying to disable wifi on my Acer laptop, while still allowing an ethernet connection to the internet. I do not want to simply switch wifi off through the Control Panel (I'm trying to make the computer more kid-friendly, but still want to be able to use the internet with an ethernet cable, so I don't want normal troubleshooting to be able to fix this(!)) I'm wondering if there is a program that does this?

Does anyone know how I might go about doing this?

THANKS in advance!

• Open Control Panel
  • Networks and Sharing
  • Network Adapters
  • Repeat for both the Ethernet (LAN) connection and the Wireless (WLAN) connection
    • Right Click the connection and select properties
    • Click on Internet Protocol version 4 > properties
    • Click Advanced, un-check "Automatic Metric and for the Ethernet enter 1 for the Wireless enter 2
    • Repeat above for Internet Protocol version 6
This will tell Windows that if the computer is connected via a cable to always favor that connection and when the computer is disconnected from Ethernet it will be able to use the wireless.

If you want to flat out disable the wireless you can do it in three ways
  • From BIOS, you should be able to disable the wireless hardware
  • In Windows Under the Network Adapters section in control panel you can right click the adapter and select Disable
  • With a FN + F# key to turn it off or there may be a hardware switch to toggle off

By default, when you plug in the ethernet cable it will disable the wifi. Also, you should have a wifi FN Key on the laptop to turn on/off the wifi or a specific wifi on/off button/key. With out the make/model of your laptop....it's hard to say.

Well both of you are right. The laptop will need to support a feature called LAN/WLAN switching. Usually this is configured on the BIOS or UEFI and it is not always configured by default.

Back
Top Bottom