BrutalMoose

Disk Clone MBR Disk fails.
Ventoy MBR USB > Aomei Partition Assistant Pro 9.15 WinPE ISO
Legacy BIOS
HP i5 x64 Desktop 2013
Source HDD 500GB 2013
Target SSD 2.5" 1TB Sandisk 2023
USB 2.0 ports
Booted Ventoy in Legacy BIOS mode, launched Aomei Partition Assistant WinPE ISO successfully. Confirmed target disk MBR, not GPT partition table. Source internal SATA, target external USB 3 to SATA adapter. Clone aligned for SSD, Intelligent-Sector, not exact-sector; clone successful. Shutdown, remove stick. Removed HDD, installed SSD internal SATA.
Boot Legacy BIOS SSD
BSOD
The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors.
File: \Boot BCD
Error code: Oxc000000f
Troubleshooting:
Aomei Partition Assistant > rebuild MBR
LazeSoft > oneclick fix > rebuilt MBR, rebuilt BCD, fixboot, etc.
Windows 10 > Startup Repair
Diskpart > bootrec /fixboot > bootrec /fixmbr > bootrec /rebuildBCD
Diskpart > lis dis > sel dis 0 > lis par > sel par system-NTFS-partition# > active
What caused this error, and how do I fix it?

I would rather try to clone again from scratch rather than trying to repair the failed clone.
There is this free utility for cloning disks Clonezilla live
Maybe this will be successful in your case.

I would rather try to clone again from scratch rather than trying to repair the failed clone.
There is this free utility for cloning disks Clonezilla live
Maybe this will be successful in your case.
Thank you, I have used Clonezilla and other cloning software hundreds of times. After typing this, I went to another pc and cloned to ssd, and it came up with the same error. Something is causing this, and I want to find out what. I have used Aomei to clone a hundred other disks without receiving this error. I wonder if it is the specific Sandisk SSD I am using, I will test that next by using a different disk and brand.

The error message you see typically indicates that the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) is missing or corrupt, preventing Windows from booting correctly. This can happen when the partition table is not properly aligned with the disk, or if there are errors in the boot configuration.

It's possible that the cloning process did not properly align the partitions on the SSD, causing the boot configuration to become corrupted. To fix this, you can try the following steps:
  • Boot your computer from a Windows installation media, such as a USB or DVD.
  • Select your language preferences, and then click "Next."
  • Click "Repair your computer" in the bottom-left corner.
  • Click "Troubleshoot."
  • Click "Advanced options."
  • Click "Command Prompt."
  • In the command prompt, type "bootrec /fixmbr" and press Enter.
  • Then type "bootrec /fixboot" and press Enter.
  • Finally, type "bootrec /rebuildbcd" and press Enter.
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the rebuild process.
Hope it works

The error message you see typically indicates that the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) is missing or corrupt, preventing Windows from booting correctly. This can happen when the partition table is not properly aligned with the disk, or if there are errors in the boot configuration.

It's possible that the cloning process did not properly align the partitions on the SSD, causing the boot configuration to become corrupted. To fix this, you can try the following steps:
  • Boot your computer from a Windows installation media, such as a USB or DVD.
  • Select your language preferences, and then click "Next."
  • Click "Repair your computer" in the bottom-left corner.
  • Click "Troubleshoot."
  • Click "Advanced options."
  • Click "Command Prompt."
  • In the command prompt, type "bootrec /fixmbr" and press Enter.
  • Then type "bootrec /fixboot" and press Enter.
  • Finally, type "bootrec /rebuildbcd" and press Enter.
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the rebuild process.
Hope it works
Thanks I had already done all of those steps before posting. Days later, I narrowed down the problem to only Aomei Partition Assistant with BIOS/MBR system disk clones. Aomei Backupper BIOS/MBR system disk clones worked fine.

Back