Windows 10 Documentation of Windows 10 services

Jaap Verhage

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for proper, thorough documentation of Windows 10 services. Many websites only copy the description provided by Services.msc; I'm looking for (much) more than that. I want to be able to judge for myself whether it's safe to stop a service without relying on the information provided by various websites, trustworthy or otherwise.

Thanks for your time and trouble.

Regards, Jaap.

I'm afraid you're not going to find such information. I've never seen Microsoft document their services other than what is available in the descriptions in services.msc. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Thanks for replying, Neemobeer. What I'm trying to do, is: stop unnecessary services, turn automatically starting services in services that start on demand, etc. Several guides about how to do this are around, e.g. Black Viper's and Techlick's, but I like to understand what I'm doing, not just blindly follow what someone else has thought out for their situation; mine may be different.

Regards, Jaap.

Can you provide a high level layout like how many devices are on the your network, do they need to share any resources, are you in a home group etc? What types of applications do you use games, fax, print. Then maybe I can give you a good list of what you can disable.

Hello Neemobeer,

thanks for your willingness! IO have 3 PC's in a homegroup "talking" to each other, a printer connected to one of them which needs to be accessed from all three, I want to be able to fax if need be. My applications are work-related ones like MSOffice, music- and image-related apps and things to do with PC maintenance. I never play games.

I just like Windows to run smoothly and fast, which is where my interest in its services comes from.

Thanks for thinking along with me.

Regards, Jaap.

Back