Windows 7 Dual graphic cards on Win 7: Possible?

brazilian1337

I was wondering if anyone was able to get 2 different model graphic cards to work on Windows 7. I have an Asus EN9600GT Silent PCIE card and 1 PNY FX5200 PCI. They work by themselves, but as soon as boot the system with both installed, one shows (fx5200) an error saying that the hardware could not start: error code 43. I read somewhere that Microsoft had decided to disable the dual video card on Windows 7 but am not sure how much of it is true?

My system:
Pentium Core 2 Duo Processor E7500 2.93GHz
4GB Ram
Asus EN9600GT Silent 512Mb GDDR3 PCIe

Windows 7 supports multiple cards, but like Vista, all cards MUST use the same WDDM driver. I suspect the 5200 does not. See Link Removed due to 404 Error for more information. It applies to Win7 as well.

I am assuming you are trying to run 3 or more monitors. It may be easier if you replace the 5200 with something more current.

?

So as long as I get a second video card that uses the same driver, it should work? Does that mean any nvidia 9 series would work?

It's the WDDM driver that must be the same. Beyond that, I don't have enough experience getting multiple cards that are not identical to work in one machine. I always used identical cards - primarily because of horror stories like yours. Sorry.

I have the same problem, I'm trying to run three screens, one is my TV (in the lounge) for watching movies on and photo's, the other two sit on my desk. I am running two NVidia GeForce 6600's (one AGP and one PCI-E). I get as far the windows logo and then all screens go blank... The PC sounds as if it's continuing to load but I have no video output. This combined with the Analog/Digital sound issue pretty much means my new system is useless to me... luckly I've kept my old XP system on another disk.

Back
Top Bottom