Windows 7 dvd players

hawkeye2008

can anyone play a dvd in windows 7 with out installing a dvd player .. IE using winodws mediaplayer 11 or media center.

Many Thanks
IAN

I just tried to play a couple of video dvd's and WMP crashed with both. The cd player seems to work okay.

Audio DVD-A's seem to work okay too.

Last edited:
No for both.
They don't crash, they just don't play them.

Media Center is clearly not a finished work yet. Especially the fast-forward feature for live tv.

On my computer, Windows Media Player starts to play the DVD video for a short while then stops with an error box. It's a little tricky to navigate around a DVD-A but it does work for me. Definitely needs more work.

looks like it

Yep I think you are right it is not finished still buggy on dvd's apart from the my media center is working ok so FAR .. lol tuch wood .

Many thanks for checking that out for me at leat i am not going mad LOL :)

Dvd's in windows media player have worked flawlessly so far. I play many dvds a day as well so im sure that it is an icompatibility on your system if anything. Did you do an upgrade or a clean install?

I reformatted my hard drive, installed Vista, then installed Service Pack 1, then upgraded to Windows 7.

Previously I just installed Windows 7 over an old Vista system which had lots of programs on it, which may have conflicted with the new Windows 7 OS. So I figured to reformat the drive to clean it up, install Vista fresh, then Service Pack 1, then Windows 7 upgrade, this seems to be working much better, plus I have lots of disk space freed up, so I'm really happy with the way everything is running now.

Huge difference !!

So now I'm in the process of re-installing my important programs and they are all installing very smoothly.

If you reformatted the drive it was rather silly to waste the time installing Vista.

Dvd's in windows media player have worked flawlessly so far. I play many dvds a day as well so im sure that it is an icompatibility on your system if anything. Did you do an upgrade or a clean install?
I did a clean install on a separate hd, but I can't use either Media Player or Media Center to play DVD's.

Last edited:
Probably...but I read somewhere that Vista SP1 had to be on the hard drive for Windows 7 to work..... I tried reformatting the drive with the Windows 7 installation disk, but the re-format option wouldn't work, so I tried the Vista installation disk, and that did work so I just kept going with Vista.

Was it a waste of time ?? I don't think so, because everything is running much better now, plus I have about 100 gigs of extra free disk space now.

Live and learn.

Probably...but I read somewhere that Vista SP1 had to be on the hard drive for Windows 7 to work..... I tried reformatting the drive with the Windows 7 installation disk, but the re-format option wouldn't work, so I tried the Vista installation disk, and that did work so I just kept going with Vista.

Was it a waste of time ?? I don't think so, because everything is running much better now, plus I have about 100 gigs of extra free disk space now.

Live and learn.
I'm glad it works better.

However, Vista is not necessary for an install of W7.

I know of one poster that disconnected his Vista drive and installed a fresh copy of W7 on his second hard drive.

I installed it to a blank second drive, creating and formatting the partition during setup, on an XP machine.

So yes, it was a waste of time. But, your time is only as valuable as you deem fit. If you are happy with the time you put in to get a good running install of W7, then it was time well spent - regardless of the time involved.

It was only about an hour and a half, no big deal for me. I'm just happy to have this clean installation as it's running fantastic. All the minor problems I was having before have disappeared. So now I should be all set for the 6 month beta trial. :D

Clean install

I have done a clean install on 2 pc's now both of them will only play about 1/2 my dvd collection at best.

Using a 3rd part app to do it is no good as i want to use it throw media center and media center will not use a 3rd part app to play dvd's..

Oh well ill have to leave vista on my MC untill it is fixed ...

Just one quick question to you all.. I may be wrong but those of you that installed w7 over the top of vista but did not reformat have u all bean able to play all you dvd's ... if so this may be the solution to my problem at least for now anyway. Please can some one confirm this ..

Many Thanks Everyone

Last edited:
Back