Windows 7 DX11 Cards

Was the wait worth it? Will you be buying one?

• Price is too high so no to Fermi..

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I bought a 5000 series and am happy..

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Both Fermi and 5000 series way too expensive

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • At last! Can't wait to get my Fermi.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm waiting until the price drops.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • I'm going to wait for the refresh and 512 cores

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
More 5870 benches, this was taken from here: http://www.czechgamer.com/novinky/5059/ATI-Radeon-HD-5870-dalsi-benchmarky.html

add_logo.php

Hmm I was hoping for a little bit more than results that show its as fast as a slightly overclocked Nvidia 295 :( That said bangs for bucks it's a big step forward, but still the proof is in the Dx11 benchs....since everything I read thus far says dx10 cards support dx11, although hugely slower.

Really? Because when they first started writing about DX11, the word on the street was that it would work on DX10 cards no problem.. Now they start bringing out dedicated cards and the like.. But if what you say is true then thats perhaps where that theory sprung from??

Oh and yes, I was a tad disppointed with the bench results...60% my ass!

I think the 60% faster in native dx11 may be true....lol

Even that AMD video says that dx10 card support the dx11 features, just VERY poorly speed wise...3fps on say top end vs 40-50 on native dx11 card, my only fear of ATi/AMD is the total lack of Physx & CUDA, a feature i demand, that said with a ATi 4890 going for £126 inc VAT...it's hard to knock....just hope that applies to the dx11 cards.

Last edited:
I agree with you about physx and ati, although it will run a token driver thats needed for a game to run but it's nothing like what it should be.. Then again I've always thought, Havock physics are pretty amazing and you don't need a seperate driver to see those run...weird.

ATI 5870 (RV870) series

ATI 5870 (RV870) series

Speed 2,16 to 4,6 TFLOPS depending on the card model
ROPs 32
TMUs 48
Shader Processors 1200
Process 40 nm
GPU 900 Mhz
GDDR5 (1100 Mhz) 4400 Mhz effective
Bus Width 256-bit 137 Gb/sec
Texture Fillrate 43 MT/sec
Pixel Fillrate 28,8 MP/sec
API DirectX 11

Looks very impressive, but why not widening the bus-width?

Link Removed due to 404 Error

More:

ATI Radeon 5870 and 5870X2 specs revealed? - Bright Side Of News*

I agree with you about physx and ati, although it will run a token driver thats needed for a game to run but it's nothing like what it should be.. Then again I've always thought, Havock physics are pretty amazing and you don't need a seperate driver to see those run...weird.

Yea the Havok ones are good, but rely on cpu totally....theres simply more overhead on a GPU for that to be done via Physx on lower end rigs.

Found this snippit with some more info about models comming out...

Taken from Techtree.com:

"While the ATI's DirectX 11 supporting Cypress Radeon HD 5800 series cards were expected last Friday, information about more cards in works crops up. DigiTimes reported that ATI will launch Juniper codenamed Radeon HD 5770 and HD 5750 graphics cards in October and HD 5870 X2 in November.

The highly anticipated ATI Radeon HD 5850 and HD 5870 graphic cards are now buzzed to be released on Sept. 22 as per the sources at graphics card makers. The DirectX 11 supporting ATI Radeon HD 5750 is Juniper LE and Radeon HD 5770 is Juniper XT. AMD is said to have assigned card specific codenames like Cypress, Juniper, Redwood, Cedar and Hemlock to its DirectX 11 compatible cards.

AMD has 40nm GPUs packed Cypress in its high end offerings. VR-Zone stated that Juniper LE Radeon HD 5750 is codenamed as Corvette and the Juniper XT Radeon HD 5770 has been codenamed as Countach. Both cards will be loaded with 1GB GDDR5 video memory with 128-bit memory interface. Both these Juniper cards will possess most features of Cypress cards such as based on 40nm GPU, multi-monitor Eyefinity technology, ATI Stream UVD 2.0 and will fall in more "affordable" price range.

In addition to Radeon HD 5000 series desktop graphics cards, ATI will also introduce ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5000 series graphics for notebooks. Just like the desktop cards, ATI will bring Mobility Radeon HD 5800 for high-end segment, HD 5700 for performance segment, HD 5600 for mainstream and HD 5400 for entry-level notebooks.

Let's wait to see if AMD introduces DirectX 11 based graphics cards by the end of this month or in the next month when Windows 7 is expected to launch."

In a new blog post on the AMD website they talk about how their new graphics chips support the DirectX11 API which will launch when Microsoft releases their new OS Windows 7 on October 22.

According to the latest information four games that use DirectX 11 are on the way:

Aliens vs. Predator (February 2010)
BattleForge (DX11 patch expected in October)
DiRT 2 (December 2009)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Call of Pripyat (October 2009)
In addition to technical details, the article also reveals that support for DX11 is snowballing, as the slate of games to use the API has now tripled (to three). In addition to the already announced DX11 support in DiRT 2, they also list GSC Game World's upcoming S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Call of Pripyat and EA's already released free-to-play RTS BattleForge as DirectX 11 games.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh boy, was gonna go out and purchase a 4890, jeeze hard to keep up with them now how technology is just booming out the door like mad...

Nvidia: DirectX 11 Will Not Catalyze Sales of Graphics Cards.
DirectX 11 Is Not the Defining Reason to Invest into New Graphics Cards – Nvidia
[09/16/2009 02:03 PM]
by Anton Shilov

Nvidia Corp. said during a conference for financial analysts that the emergence of next-generation DirectX 11 application programming interface will not drive sales of graphics cards. The firm believes that general purpose computing on graphics processing units (GPGPU) as well as its proprietary tools and emergence of software taking advantage of these technologies will be a better driver for sales of graphics boards than new demanding video games and high-end cards.

DirectX 11 - Not Important
“DirectX 11 by itself is not going be the defining reason to buy a new GPU. It will be one of the reasons. This is why Microsoft is in work with the industry to allow more freedom and more creativity in how you build content, which is always good, and the new features in DirectX 11 are going to allow people to do that. But that no longer is the only reason, we believe, consumers would want to invest in a GPU,â€Â￾ said Mike Hara, vice president of investor relations at Nvidia, at Deutsche Bank Securities Technology Conference on Wednesday.

Nvidia believes that special-purpose software that relies on GPGPU technologies will drive people to upgrade their graphics processing units (GPUs), not advanced visual effects in future video games or increased raw performance of DirectX 11-compliant graphics processors.

“Now, we know, people are doing a lot in the area of video, people are going to do more and more in the area of photography… I think that the things we are doing would allow the GPU to be a co-processor to the CPU and deliver better user experience, better battery life and make that computers little bit more optimized,â€Â￾ added Mr. Hara.

There are several problems for Nvidia, though. While ATI, graphics business unit of Advanced Micro Devices, is about to launch its Radeon HD 5800-series graphics cards that fully support DirectX 11 in the upcoming weeks, Nvidia yet has not disclosed any plans regarding its DX11 GPUs, which means that in the eyes of computer enthusiasts the company is not a technology leader any more.

Moreover, the software that takes advantage of Nvidia’s proprietary CUDA GPGPU technology is, in many cases, incompatible with open-standard OpenCL and DirectCompute 11 (DirectX 11 compute shaders) environments, which are supported by ATI Radeon HD 4000 and 5000 families of graphics processors in addition to Nvidia’s latest chips. Even though Nvidia has advantage in terms of higher amount of installed GeForce GPUs and at least some makers of software will decide to make CUDA software, the majority will settle with industry-standard DirectCompute and OpenCL, which puts all the interested parties – ATI/AMD, Intel, Nvidia, etc. – into the same boat, where there will be no advantage of exclusive software. It is not completely clear why Nvidia is trying to downplay the importance of DirectX 11, DirectCompute 11, technologies that enable next-generation software.

Computing Performance More Important than Graphics Performance
Next-generation graphics processors will naturally not only outperform Nvidia’s and ATI current GeForce GTX 200- and Radeon HD 4000-series lines, but also offer support for future games, something, which is more than likely to catalyze many gamers – who usually buy high-end graphics cards for $300 or more – to upgrade their graphics sub-systems. The new graphics cards will allow to increase resolutions of video gaming and increase the amount of enabled visual effects.
Nvidia believes that in future computing performance will matter much more than graphics performance, which seems to make sense as forthcoming video games will demand a lot of purely computing power to process not only visuals, but also physics and artificial experience. Nevertheless, Nvidia seems to put a lot of hopes onto its proprietary technologies, such as CUDA, Stereo 3D Vision, PhysX and others. This is understandable as the aforementioned technologies allow Nvidia to differentiate itself. However, as all proprietary standards (3dfx Glide is one example), they may not continue to be on the leading edge in the longer term.

“Graphics industry, I think, is on the point that microprocessor industry was several years ago, when AMD made the public confession that frequency does not matter anymore and it is more about performance per watt. I think we are the same crossroad with the graphics world: framerate and resolution are nice, but today they are very high and going from 120fps to 125fps is not going to fundamentally change end-user experience. But I think the things that we are doing with Stereo 3D Vision, PhysX, about making the games more immersive, more playable is beyond framerates and resolutions. Nvidia will show with the next-generation GPUs that the compute side is now becoming more important that the graphics side,â€Â￾ concluded Mr. Hara.

I'm not sure if it's bash Nvidia time but there are also stories of only 2% yield with the GT300 40nm chips going around!...

I suppose not now "gonna wait" lol, I would have thought that not entirely pointless but somewhat pointless to by 10.1 dx card when 11 is just around the corner.

Well which ever company shuffles out the faster gear get my buck...something I would as a long time Nvidia fan never had said a few years ago, but if openCL and direct compute can cover for the lack of Physx the AMD are back in the driving seat.

Like both of you, I'm just waiting and watching... Prices for the 5870 have been revealed at around 319 Euro which will obviously come down after the initial rush.. If I can get one for say £150 in 6months time I may splash the cash..

Personally I'm aiming for early january since thats my Birthday and Xmas cash combined (£250-300) and ready to spend...lol

Back