External Storage Issue

Beav

I use an external Drive to store my files. I frequently get diconnected (usually on Windows updates) and then it takes days to reconnect.
I use two computers and both access the ext Drive wirelessly, and usually they can both connect.
Ext Drive Connection Issue.PNG

Attachments

• Issue with Ext Drive.PNG
    Issue with Ext Drive.PNG
    33.3 KB · Views: 0
It seems like you are experiencing issues with your external drive getting disconnected frequently, especially during Windows updates. This can be frustrating, but there are a few things you can try to resolve this problem.

First, make sure that your external drive is properly connected to your computer. Check the cables and ports to ensure a secure connection. Sometimes, a loose connection can cause intermittent disconnections.

Next, check the power supply for your external drive. If it is connected through a USB port, ensure that the port is providing enough power to the drive. You may need to connect the drive to a powered USB hub or use a separate power adapter if available.

Update the drivers for your external drive. Visit the manufacturer's website and check if there are any available driver updates for your specific model. Installing the latest drivers might help resolve any compatibility issues with your operating system.

If you are using wireless access to connect to your external drive, check the Wi-Fi signal strength and stability. Weak or fluctuating signals can cause disconnections. Try repositioning your wireless router or using a Wi-Fi extender to improve signal strength.

Consider connecting your external drive directly to your computer through a wired connection. This eliminates any potential issues with wireless connectivity. If connecting directly resolves the problem, you may want to investigate your wireless network setup or check for interference from other devices.

It is also important to ensure that your operating system and all software components are up to date. Regularly installing Windows updates and keeping your applications updated can help to resolve compatibility issues and improve overall system stability.

If these steps do not resolve the issue, it is possible that your external drive may be experiencing hardware problems. In this case, you may need to contact the manufacturer for further assistance or consider replacing the drive if it is still under warranty.

In conclusion, to resolve the frequent disconnection of your external drive:
- Check cables and ports for a secure connection.
- Verify the power supply sources.
- Update drivers for the external drive.
- Check Wi-Fi signal strength and stability.
- Consider a wired connection.
- Keep your operating system and software updated.
- Contact the manufacturer for hardware issues if needed.

I hope these suggestions help you resolve the issue and improve the stability of your external drive connectivity.

It seems like you are experiencing issues with your external drive getting disconnected frequently, especially during Windows updates. This can be frustrating, but there are a few things you can try to resolve this problem.

First, make sure that your external drive is properly connected to your computer. Check the cables and ports to ensure a secure connection. Sometimes, a loose connection can cause intermittent disconnections.

Next, check the power supply for your external drive. If it is connected through a USB port, ensure that the port is providing enough power to the drive. You may need to connect the drive to a powered USB hub or use a separate power adapter if available.

Update the drivers for your external drive. Visit the manufacturer's website and check if there are any available driver updates for your specific model. Installing the latest drivers might help resolve any compatibility issues with your operating system.

If you are using wireless access to connect to your external drive, check the Wi-Fi signal strength and stability. Weak or fluctuating signals can cause disconnections. Try repositioning your wireless router or using a Wi-Fi extender to improve signal strength.

Consider connecting your external drive directly to your computer through a wired connection. This eliminates any potential issues with wireless connectivity. If connecting directly resolves the problem, you may want to investigate your wireless network setup or check for interference from other devices.

It is also important to ensure that your operating system and all software components are up to date. Regularly installing Windows updates and keeping your applications updated can help to resolve compatibility issues and improve overall system stability.

If these steps do not resolve the issue, it is possible that your external drive may be experiencing hardware problems. In this case, you may need to contact the manufacturer for further assistance or consider replacing the drive if it is still under warranty.

In conclusion, to resolve the frequent disconnection of your external drive:
- Check cables and ports for a secure connection.
- Verify the power supply sources.
- Update drivers for the external drive.
- Check Wi-Fi signal strength and stability.
- Consider a wired connection.
- Keep your operating system and software updated.
- Contact the manufacturer for hardware issues if needed.

I hope these suggestions help you resolve the issue and improve the stability of your external drive connectivity.
I have tried all that. Currently I have no connection issues with the laptop, yet desktop has been disconnected for 5 days. I have even mapped the drive yet that doesn't help.
My computer snap shot.PNG

I have tried all that. Currently I have no connection issues with the laptop, yet desktop has been disconnected for 5 days. I have even mapped the drive yet that doesn't help.
View attachment 43398
I understand that you have already tried the suggested troubleshooting steps and are still experiencing issues with your external drive getting disconnected on your desktop. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Since you have already checked the cables, power supply, drivers, Wi-Fi signal strength, and even tried mapping the drive, it seems like the issue might be specific to your desktop computer. Here are a few additional steps you can try to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Restart your desktop computer: Sometimes a simple restart can resolve connectivity issues. Turn off your desktop computer, unplug it from the power source, wait for a few minutes, and then plug it back in and turn it on.

2. Check your network settings: Ensure that your desktop computer has a stable and consistent network connection. Check if there are any network-related settings or configurations that might be interfering with the connection to your external drive.

3. Disable power-saving settings: Sometimes, power-saving settings on your desktop computer can cause devices to disconnect. Try adjusting the power settings to disable any sleep or hibernation settings that might affect the external drive's connection.

4. Disable Windows firewall or antivirus software temporarily: In some cases, firewall or antivirus software can interfere with network connections. Temporarily disable these security measures to see if it makes a difference in reconnecting to your external drive.

5. Try a different USB port: If you are using a USB connection for your external drive, try connecting it to a different USB port on your desktop computer. This can help determine if the issue is specific to a particular USB port.

6. Reset network settings: If none of the above steps have resolved the issue, you can try resetting your network settings on your desktop computer. This will reset all network-related configurations, so make sure to back up any important settings or information before proceeding.

If none of these steps work, it is possible that there may be an underlying issue with the network adapter or some other hardware component on your desktop computer. In such cases, it might be helpful to contact the manufacturer's support or seek assistance from a professional technician who can diagnose the issue in person.

I hope these suggestions help you in resolving the issue with the disconnection of your external drive on your desktop computer.

Back