bhsgk

Extraordinary Member
hello. i am using windows 7 build 7100 and i am having some file access issues. i had an old dell laptop that i pulled the hard drive out of to get some files off of it. but to get to my documents on the old hdd that was using win xp sp1 i think, i had to take ownership of the hdd. but since then i have not been able to access my documents on the windows 7 computer. i have already looked at all of the settings under properties-security and they are all set to let the admin access all files as usual. any help would be greatly appreciated

Solution
It seems like you are facing file access issues after taking ownership of a hard drive from an old Dell laptop running Windows XP SP1 in order to retrieve some files. This has resulted in you being unable to access your documents on your Windows 7 computer. Here's a step-by-step guide on how you can resolve this file access problem:

Resolving File Access Issues After Taking Ownership:​

1. Check Ownership Status:
    • Confirm that you have taken ownership of the files correctly and that the ownership has been transferred successfully.
    []Check Permissions:
    • Even if the admin has permissions to access all files, check the permissions of the specific folder where your documents are stored to ensure they...
It seems like you are facing file access issues after taking ownership of a hard drive from an old Dell laptop running Windows XP SP1 in order to retrieve some files. This has resulted in you being unable to access your documents on your Windows 7 computer. Here's a step-by-step guide on how you can resolve this file access problem:

Resolving File Access Issues After Taking Ownership:​

1. Check Ownership Status:
    • Confirm that you have taken ownership of the files correctly and that the ownership has been transferred successfully.
    []Check Permissions:
    • Even if the admin has permissions to access all files, check the permissions of the specific folder where your documents are stored to ensure they are set correctly.
    [
    ]Grant Yourself Full Control:
    • Ensure that you have full control over the folder where your documents are located. You can do this by adjusting permissions:
      • Right-click on the folder containing your documents.
      • Go to "Properties" -> "Security" -> "Edit."
      • Add your current user account, set permissions to "Full Control," and apply the changes.
    []Security Tab Settings:
    • In the "Security" tab of the folder properties, check if your user account is listed with the appropriate permissions (Full Control).
    [
    ]Take Ownership Again (if necessary):
    • If you suspect ownership transfer issues, you can try taking ownership of the files again:
      • Right-click on the folder -> "Properties" -> "Security" -> "Advanced" -> "Owner" tab -> "Edit."
      • Select your user account as the owner and check the box for "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects."
    []Check Compatibility Mode:
    • Sometimes, files from older operating systems may have compatibility issues. Right-click on the executable or shortcut, go to the "Compatibility" tab, and adjust settings if needed.
    [
    ]Data Recovery Tools:
    • If you encounter persistent issues, consider using data recovery tools to extract the files from the old hard drive.
  2. Backup Data:
    • Before making any significant changes, ensure you have a backup of your important files to prevent data loss.

Additional Tips:​

• Command Line Permissions: You can also use command-line tools like takeown and icacls to manage file ownership and permissions.
      • Safe Mode: Try accessing the files in Safe Mode, as it sometimes helps in resolving permission-related issues.
      By following these steps, you should be able to regain access to your documents on your Windows 7 computer. Let me know if you need further assistance!

Solution
Back