n1kk1

Hi, I have just bought a new imac with Windows 7 installed and running Lion 10.6 OSX. I am attempting to file share between my 2 old macs which are G4's running 10.4.I have enabled file sharing on each through the system preferences adn I can see both the old macs on my new imac - I can't for the life of me though get it to connect. I can find lots and lots of help manuals showing how to network between a pc and a mac but not mac-mac, especially when they are such old versions. Can anyone tell me if this is possible and if so how I can do this?Thanks

Solution
Setting up file sharing between your older Macs running Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger and your new iMac running Windows 7 on Lion 10.6 can be a bit tricky due to the differences in operating systems and protocols. However, it is possible to create a network between these devices. Here are the general steps you can follow to enable file sharing between these systems:
### Configure File Sharing on Macs:
1. Enable File Sharing on your older Macs running Mac OS X 10.4:
- Go to System Preferences > Sharing and check the File Sharing box.
2. Set Up Shared Folders:
- Add the folders you want to share by clicking the "+" under Shared Folders and select the folders you want to share.
3. Set...
Setting up file sharing between your older Macs running Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger and your new iMac running Windows 7 on Lion 10.6 can be a bit tricky due to the differences in operating systems and protocols. However, it is possible to create a network between these devices. Here are the general steps you can follow to enable file sharing between these systems:
### Configure File Sharing on Macs:
1. Enable File Sharing on your older Macs running Mac OS X 10.4:
- Go to System Preferences > Sharing and check the File Sharing box.
2. Set Up Shared Folders:
- Add the folders you want to share by clicking the "+" under Shared Folders and select the folders you want to share.
3. Set Permissions:
- Ensure that the permissions are set correctly for the shared folders, allowing access to users on the network.
### Connect from your new iMac:
1. Connect to Shared Folders:
- On your iMac, go to Finder and look for the shared Macs under the Shared section. You should see the shared Macs listed there.
2. Connect to the Shared Mac:
- Double-click on the shared Mac and enter the login credentials (username and password) of the shared Mac.
3. Access Shared Files:
- Once connected, you should be able to access the shared files and folders on the older Macs.
### Troubleshooting Tips:
  • Firewall Settings: Check the firewall settings on all Macs to ensure that file sharing is not blocked.
  • Network Connectivity: Ensure that all devices are connected to the same network (wired or wireless).
  • Workgroup or Domain: Make sure that all Macs are in the same workgroup or domain for easier network discovery.
### Notes:
  • Since you have a mix of old and new Mac systems, compatibility with file sharing protocols may be an issue. You may need to adjust the sharing protocols or settings to ensure compatibility.
  • It's also worth considering upgrading the older Macs to a newer operating system for better compatibility and security.
These steps should help you set up file sharing between your old Macs running Mac OS X 10.4 and your new iMac running Lion 10.6. If you encounter any specific errors or issues during the setup, feel free to provide more details for further assistance.

Solution
Back