Formula 1 Season starts today!!

Did you see webbers face when he was telling Button... Man was he pissed!

Did you see webbers face when he was telling Button... Man was he pissed!

Dude, did you see my face on the lounge at home? Man i was shellshocked.

A couple of laps later Button attempts a similar move on Hamilton and methinks all hope is not lost. Two turns into this power struggle my power goes out and i'm sitting in the dark with my mouth open listening to the faint laughter of my wife from down the hall.

And they said F1 was getting boring to watch...:tongue:

Last edited:
Yeah i was just reading an article which said if Ferrari could change the rules and enter a third car they would try and get Valentino as he'd been testing for them.

@johndept1: Thats good...

Well if it was me there'd be plenty of drivers I could think of already racing :confused:

Man its getting harder and harder to stay awake to watch these races so far away from Oz. I do try though.

Well done Vettel, Germany in F1 and in the Football. Man, poor Mark.

Lets see that again...

Dude. 320km/h or 200 mp/h then into a tyre wall. Red Bull saftey $$ just paid off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sebastian Vettel will start the British Grand Prix from pole position for Red Bull after narrowly beating team mate Mark Webber. The two of them were inseparable in all three sessions, but Vettel just edged out the Australian with a lap of 1m 29.615s compared to 1m 29.758s.

Behind them, only Fernando Alonso really got anywhere close, and he was seventh-tenths off pole for Ferrari with his lap of 1m 30.426s...

Read on... Link Removed due to 404 Error

Yep, Webber's the man. About time he got a decent car under him.

The last radio call from the Red Bull team implies its not happy families.

Pits: "Maybe you can start smiling now?"

Mark: "Yeah, not bad for a number 2 driver hey?"

Hmmm.

I thought that was golden.. Out of the two of them I hope Mark does it although I'd prefer a McLaren up there to be honest.

Hmm, I too follow Maclaren, i just dont like Hamilton, he doesn't do it for me. I guess too the way they flash to his Pussycat Doll all the time, and you see her not giving a s*** till she realises she's on tele then its all "go honey!"

Thank god for Button hey?

But I've followed Mark as an Aussie since he moved to F1 and have been waiting for him to get signed to a decent team, if its Red Bull Renault then its Red Bull Renault.

But yes definitely not happy families...:razz:

Race - Hungary win gives Webber title lead

Mark Webber turned the Hungarian Grand Prix into a nail-biting gripper when a safety-car intervention on the 15th lap upset the form that Red Bull team mate Sebastian Vettel had established from the start.

The German sprinted into the lead from pole position, with Ferrari's Fernando Alonso bulling up to snatch second from Webber as Felipe Massa in the second scarlet car just held off Renault’s Vitaly Petrov and McLaren’s Lewis Hamilton.

Vettel streaked away and had built a 11.7s lead by the time a rash of pits stops was prompted as the safety car was deployed while debris was cleared away. Webber was the only front runner not to pit, and seemed to have been hung out to dry. But as Vettel came out in second place Webber and the team opted to stay out as long as they could on the super soft Bridgestone tyres.

The Australian’s day was made when Vettel was given a drive-through penalty for falling more than 10 car lengths behind him and holding Alonso back while running behind the safety car. The German said he could not hear his radio, and simply got caught out. That changed the complexion of the race, for now Webber was intent on building a lead of 19 or more seconds over the Ferrari driver in order to make his pit stop. Alonso, for his part, was containing Vettel, as Massa held a watching brief in fourth.

Lap by lap Webber achieved his mission, and when he swept into the pits on the 43rd lap he had 23.7s in hand and was easily able to retain his lead. More than that, on fresh medium-compound Bridgestones he then rebuilt that 23s-lead as Alonso kept an increasingly frustrated - and extremely angry and disappointed - Vettel at bay.

The German was not the only unhappy driver. It was a disastrous day for McLaren. Hamilton picked off Petrov quickly and had taken fourth from Massa in the pit stops when his MP4-25 rolled to a halt on the 24th lap with no drive. Webber’s fourth victory of the season moved him back into the championship points lead at his expense, 161 to 157, with Vettel on 151 and Alonso 141. Jenson Button had a lacklustre race to eighth place, sandwiched by the BMW Saubers of Pedro de la Rosa and Kamui Kobayashi, and thus has 147.

In the constructors’ stakes, Red Bull have moved back ahead of McLaren, with 312 points to 304, and Ferrari have 238.

Williams’ Rubens Barrichello was also spitting bricks. He ran in fifth place for a long time, having started on the harder tyre, and then came out behind Michael Schumacher’s Mercedes to fight for the final point on soft tyres after a pit stop on lap 55. On Lap 66 he moved alongside his former team mate on the pit straight, and just squeezed by as the German seemingly moved over on him and nearly put him into the pit wall. He has been handed a 10-place grid penalty for the forthcoming Belgian Grand Prix by race stewards.

Webber was not the only happy man, though. Petrov drove brilliantly for fifth place, ahead of Nico Hulkenberg, who also did a great job for Williams.

Robert Kubica, however, had a dire day for Renault as he was released from the pits directly into the path of the incoming Force India of Adrian Sutil during the rash of stops, the resultant contact leading both to join Toro Rosso’s Jaime Alguesuari (engine failure on the opening lap) on the retirement list. That list also contained Nico Rosberg, who was fighting for sixth until the right-rear wheel fell off his Mercedes as he left the pits on the 15th lap. The errant wheel bounced down the pit lane and eventually struck Williams mechanic Nigel Hope in the back. He was attended to in the medical centre, but was well enough to rejoin colleagues in the pits before the end of the race.

Behind Schumacher, Toro Rosso’s Sebastien Buemi beat Force India’s Vitantonio Liuzzi by six-tenths of a second after a race-long duel, and Heikki Kovalainen just fended off Lotus team mate Jarno Trulli by eight-tenths to ‘win’ the new teams fight. Timo Glock was 16th, nearly half a minute behind for Virgin, followed by Bruno Senna’s HRT, Lucas di Grassi’s Virgin which led the newbies for a while, and Sakon Yamamoto’s HRT.

Ref: Link Removed due to 404 Error

See the race in 90 seconds: BBC SPORT | Motorsport | Formula 1

Qualifying - Webber and Hamilton on Spa front row

The weather was expected to disrupt qualifying at Spa-Francorchamps, and it certainly did that.

With more rain threatening as the cars streamed out for their final runs in Q3, the order from their first set of laps in the session was Mark Webber for Red Bull, Robert Kubica for Renault, Sebastian Vettel for Red Bull and Lewis Hamilton for McLaren. But even at that point it was so dark that it was inevitable these last attempts would be frustrated by rain. As the track became damp again in places, driver after driver failed to improve, until an heroic lap from Hamilton jumped him alongside Webber on the front row.

The Australian’s 1m 45.778s stood up for pole position - Red Bull's 12th of the season - but Hamilton somehow cut down from 1m 46.203s to 1m 45.863s to shove Kubica down to third with his 1m 46.100s and Vettel to fourth on his 1m 46.127s.

Jenson Button and Felipe Massa share the third row for McLaren and Ferrari on 1m 46.206s and 1m 46.314s, with Williams' Rubens Barrichello and Force India's Adrian Sutil on row four on 1m 46.602s and 1m 46.659s.

Nico Hulkenberg made it a good session for Williams by joining Barrichello in the top 10, with 1m 47.053s, but Fernando Alonso was not a happy man after a troubled first run yielded only 1m 47.441s in his Ferrari and the rain spoiled his second.

There were still damp patches to catch the unwary when Q2 began, and further showers were expected so everyone bar Lotus's Heikki Kovalainen got out as soon as the track opened again.

The track stayed dry as the sun came through, and as Hamilton and Button set the two fastest times, third place was squabbled over in rapid fire succession by the Red Bulls, Kubica and the Ferraris.

The two Mercedes were the first to miss going through to Q1. Michael Schumacher managed 1m 47.874s for 11th ahead of team mate Nico Rosberg on 1m 47.885s. Then came Jaime Alguersuari in the first of the Toro Rossos on 1m 48.267s, Tonio Liuzzi in the second Force India on 1m 48.680s, Sebastien Buemi on 1m 49.209s for Toro Rosso, Kovalainen on 1m 50.980s and Timo Glock in the Virgin on 1m 52.049s.

Yes, you read that correctly. Both Lotus and Virgin got cars through to Q2. This is how it happened. Q1 started with a bang when Vitaly Petrov dropped his Renault on his out-lap after putting the right-rear wheel on the still-wet kerb on the exit to the left-hander after Rivage. The session was briefly red-flagged as the damaged R30 was taken away.

After that, rain out the back of the circuit turned the whole thing into a crapshoot as cars slipped and slithered around. With seven minutes left the order was Hamilton, Button, Massa, Barrichello, Barrichello, Rosberg, Webber, Liuzzi, Schumacher, Alonso, Glock. Vettel was 17th… Then 18th, as he momentarily got bumped by Trulli. But by then it was drying slightly again, enough for the German to jump temporarily to third before another rash of improvements thanks to enhanced conditions pushed him back down to 11th as Rosberg, Hulkenberg, Barrichello, Kubica, and Schumacher jumped up.

In the end, a double set of offs for BMW Sauber, courtesy of Kamui Kobayashi and Pedro de la Rosa, saw neither of the Hinwil cars making it through to Q2. Trulli was the fastest faller in 18th on 2m 01.491s, then came Kobayashi on 2m 02.284s, Bruno Senna and Sakon Yamamoto in the HRTs on 2m 03.612s and 2m 03.941s, De la Rosa on 2m 05.294s, Lucas di Grassi, who had spun his Virgin at unnamed Turn 14 (between Fagnes and Stavelot) on 2m 18.754s and Petrov, who didn’t set a time.

After qualifying, Glock was penalised five grid places for impeding Yamamoto during Q1, whilst Buemi was penalised three grid places for impeding Rosberg. So with Schumacher getting his 10-place penalty for his move on Barrichello in Hungary, and Rosberg getting five for changing his gearbox after this morning’s free practice, the grid from P11 backwards reads: Alguersuari, Liuzzi; Kovalainen, Rosberg; Trulli, Buemi; Kobayashi, Senna; Yamamoto, Glock; Schumacher, De la Rosa; Di Grassi, Petrov.

Thus, while it was a bad day ultimately for Mercedes, all three of the new teams had something to crow about. The forecast for tomorrow, however, is heavy rain, so this is truly going to be one of those races in which anything could happen.

Ref: Link Removed due to 404 Error

Back