Windows 10 Frequent, Semi-random BSODs (Thread stuck in device driver)

As the title says, almost* every time I launch a video game (specifically, a minecraft mod), I get a BSOD with the error "THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER".
I'm also getting them more and more frequently just using google chrome, even just now while trying to get minidump log.
Checking the log, there was something about atikmdag.sys, and my problem seems to be very similar to this thread:
However, that thread's main solution was when someone checked the logs, they listed drivers that needed to be removed, and I don't think I have any of the same drivers.

After a bit of googling, a couple "easy" solutions were to update my BIOS and reinstall GPU drivers.
So I uninstalled all of my display drivers, deleted everything AMD, used DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller), restarted into my BIOS, updated my BIOS successfully, installed the new GPU drivers (Radeon Crimson edition software, for an R9 290), and restart my computer.

I've also performed several Windows diagnostics, including a RAM check, disk checks on all of my hard drives, and a "sfc /scannow" via CMD. All have come up with no errors.
I tried to add the minidump W7F log, but it said the file size was too large.. lol (RIP).
I've uploaded it to
but if it needs to be uploaded elsewhere, just let me know.
If any other logs are needed, I'll supply them ASAP. Any help is very much appreciated, as I work from home and this is currently my only available computer!

Can't edit my post and tells me to contact an administrator, and I can't post links because it's my first post.

I can't find the similar thread I had meant to link.

The minidump is uploaded to /file/d/0Bzun0dRJee7IamxNRk1zclkwbEk/view?usp=sharing
Drive/google/com ^

Hi Spacekitkat,

could you upload the zip file to a file sharing site?

If your dump files are MEMORY dumps then they will be big. Please change your settings like so:
Open the run application.
Type sysdm.cpl in the run box and click ok.
Look across the top of the system properties box for 'Advanced' and click that.
Look for 'Startup and Recovery' near the bottom and click 'settings'.
Near the bottom you'll see a drop down menu under the heading 'write debugging information'.
In the drop down menu choose ' small memory dump (256KB)'
Under 'small dump directory' make sure it says %SystemRoot%\Minidump.
Click ok and your good to go.

This will now mean that just 'mini' dumps will be created making it easier to move around.

Whilst we are waiting on the dump files try this.

Remove your gpu driver using the DDU. The display driver uninstaller will also remove anything left behind by previous installations leaving you ready for the new driver. (best used in safe mode)
Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V17.0.2.0 Released. - Wagnardmobile Forum

Reinstall the latest driver for your card.

I uploaded the zip to drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzun0dRJee7IamxNRk1zclkwbEk/view?usp=sharing
and I've already removed my GPU driver using DDU in safe mode, and reinstalled my GPU driver.
I'll get on the memory dump asap. Thanks :)

Thank you, downloading it now and will post back shortly..

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck EA, {ffffe0000da74840, 0, 0, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmdag.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmdag.sys
Probably caused by : dxgkrnl.sys ( dxgkrnl!TdrTimedOperationBugcheckOnTimeout+24 )

Followup:     MachineOwner
Hi,
most of the dump files were like the above apart from one which was a bugcheck 109 (critical structure corruption meaning the kernel found some corrupt data). The above dump file is caused when a device driver starts spinning in a loop whilst waiting for hardware to become idle. This can indicate issues with the hardware itself or the device driver used.
As you have already cleaned installed a new gpu driver using the DDU then we have that covered. I also noticed that the process running at the time was Java related. Make sure Java is up to date
Download Free Java Software

ASFLTDrv64.sys Thu Sep 16 09:30:49 2010: ASUS Disk Unlocker please update or remove.

cmudaxp.sys Tue Dec 20 03:23:23 2011: This could be either ASUS Xonar DG Audio Interface driver or C-Media Audio Interface Driver (WDM) by C-Media. I doubt it's HTO CLARO Audio Interface Driver?
Support Center | ASUS Global

USB Audio--C-Media Electronics, Inc.

That's about it for drivers. I can see in the call stack that the gpu driver was very much involved so hopefully you have sorted the issue but time will tell.

Lastly your bios is quite old although if you have never flashed a bios before then perhaps leave it for now as we can always come back to it.

Post any new dump files.

I'll check for new updates for the ASUS Xonar DG soundcard, as well as Java. I had thought I was up to date on both of those :(
I just flashed my bios earlier today, lol. To the latest version available on the official website for a Z97-A, 2801.
I had suspected it to be a power or a PSU issue, so I reversed a change I made a few days ago, and put my power usage back to balanced. I also unplugged all of my external hard drives, and for the last few hours of playing the video game that (seemed to have) caused BSODs, I haven't had one BSOD. I've ordered a 1000W Platinum 80+ EVGA power supply, so even if it isn't the issue, I'll be future-proofing any upgrades I get later and avoiding anymore possible problems it might cause.

I'll update with any new info soon, as well as post new dump files.
Thanks for all of the help so far~

Excellent job kitkat! If anything crops up again then please post back..

Sorry for the late reply, but ever since changing my power-consumption settings and unplugging all of my extra external hard drives (and while playing several different video games, including the one that was using Java and seemed to instantly cause BSODs), I have not had a single BSOD. I'll continue monitoring everything over the next few days, and after my new PSU arrives, I'll plug everything back in and see how it goes.

Thanks for the update, good to hear the bsod's have stopped. If issues resume please post back.

I just woke up and turned on my monitor to see windows starting up, lol. I checked the event viewer and apparently there was an unexpected shutdown, which seems like it could be another BSOD, although I don't know how to check or confirm it. It did create a minidump, so I'm uploading that. I'm really confused now, because all weekend I didn't have a single BSOD, and I just got one now while doing.. nothing. :(

I attached the minidump to this post. If you need me to upload the whole W7F .zip again, please let me know. :)

Attachments

• 091916-5984-01.dmp
    139.3 KB · Views: 493
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck EA, {ffffe001d77ea080, 0, 0, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmdag.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmdag.sys
Probably caused by : dxgkrnl.sys ( dxgkrnl!TdrTimedOperationBugcheckOnTimeout+24 )

Followup:     MachineOwner
Hi,
your AMD driver is the cause of this dump file. There could be many reasons why it's crashing and I would use the DDU again (in safe mode) and then re-install the driver.

It's also possible that another driver is the culprit and I can still see some of these 2010 drivers:

ASFLTDrv64.sys Thu Sep 16 09:30:49 2010: ASUS Disk Unlocker please update or remove.

Please run a stress test on the gpu using Furmark
FurMark: VGA Stress Test, Graphics Card and GPU Stability Test, Burn-in Test, OpenGL Benchmark and GPU Temperature | oZone3D.Net
Run for around an hour unless it crashes and please monitor temperatures.

Is it possible for you to try the gpu in a friends machine?

Hmm, I did cleanly reinstall them in safemode but I suppose I'll try it again when I get time.
I just removed Asus disk unlocker, so that should be gone now.
I'll run a stress test today and post the results.

Sadly, it's not. :(

So, I'm relatively new to running benchmarking/stress tests, and watching the temperatures go up to 90C+ at full load was making me a bit nervous lol. I ended up stopping it after 5 minutes or so. Am I really supposed to run this for an hour? I've got my new, higher wattage PSU ready to install, and I plan to clean all of the dust out before installing the PSU. Should I go ahead and do that first, or continue running Furmark for an hour?

Of the 4 minute Furmark test, idle temps are at 45C, max was 94C. Most games I play make the temperatures sit around 70-75C. I've never seen them go above 85C since I'd built my computer. :eek:

Edit: While looking through the logs HWinfo64 made, I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but GPU VRM POUT looks like it's skipping a little bit. It remains steady between 190-230 ish, then sometimes spikes to 300+, then back down to <100. Also, I feel almost completely lost in HWinfo's logging, in Excel. In case it might help with anything, I'll upload the log file to google drive, since it's a .CSV file I don't think I can upload it in this thread.
Link: 09-20-16 6 28pm Furmark test 1.CSV

Last edited:
So, I'm relatively new to running benchmarking/stress tests, and watching the temperatures go up to 90C+ at full load was making me a bit nervous lol. I ended up stopping it after 5 minutes or so. Am I really supposed to run this for an hour?

To be honest I wouldn't have been happy running at those temps so don't worry about stopping the test.
90c or more is getting a little too warm really and even though temps only seem to get to 70-75c when playing games I can almost guarantee that they spike higher.

I've got my new, higher wattage PSU ready to install, and I plan to clean all of the dust out before installing the PSU. Should I go ahead and do that first
Yes. Strip the pc and remove any dust bunnies paying particular attention to heat sinks, fans and filters. The new PSU might even drop temps so do install it asap.
I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but GPU VRM POUT looks like it's skipping a little bit. It remains steady between 190-230 ish, then sometimes spikes to 300+, then back down to <100.
Hmm...Interesting. I wonder if this coincides with the temp rise? Anyhoo sometimes under certain conditions if the card is cool enough and has plenty of available power it will get boosted to a higher amount than usual.

Clean out the dust and fit the new psu. Let's see how the land lies once this has been done.

Well, I guess it's a good thing I didn't run it for an hour, then.
Strip the PC? Like, un-plug everything? :eek: I'm a little uncomfortable when it comes to messing with my PC, and even though I built it, I've often read weird/bad things happening to motherboards/other components while being cleaned and/or messed with. I also have a cat that spends 90% of it's time in my room, within a few feet of my computer, and I'm semi-worried about causing any damage via static electricity.
Will an air-duster work? I have a can of "Dust Off" compressed gas electronics duster. What else is recommended to clean out dust? Paper towels? Microfiber towels? any house-hold things I might have on hand? :p

Strip the PC? Like, un-plug everything?
Only so removing dust is easier but I didn't mean strip everything lol.
Removing dust
The air duster works as does using a small paintbrush and a vacuum cleaner. I simply agitate the dust with the brush then use the vacuum to catch it. In fact I make it a habit to clean the system out once every 6 weeks or so. It's just good practice and keeps the system running cooler.

I see, I see.
I'm not sure if I have a paintbrush anymore, but I'll find out.
What kind of vacuum? Just a regular vacuum with a hose-attachment? Or a shop-vac style vacuum? I have both, just not sure which would be better for it.

Yes with a hose attachment. You just hold it close whilst agitating the dust with the brush. It's not really a good idea to actually vacuum the moBo as you might lose the odd jumper or bios battery especially if it's a loose fitting one.. Whatever works for you.. You might find a better way but as long as the dust is being removed then all's good.

Took out my PSU, deep-cleaned all the dust out, making sure to use an air duster especially on all of the fans and heat-sinks, and installed my new PSU. Took a lot longer than I expected, but everything seems to be working, so that's good I suppose.
...but now I'm a little confused, because my GPU is idling at 49-53C. Isn't that a little high for idling, not to mention higher than it previously was..? lol
My CPU idles at 38-40, which seems normal.
Should I just go ahead with the Furmark test, with the new PSU?

Edit: yay! after windows installing a major update that I apparently had never installed (even though windows continuously said I was up to date..) it reset a bunch of settings, made microsoft's own stuff the default, and upon launching a video game, caused a BSOD. Great. :| I suppose I can't tell (without help) whether the cause was my graphics driver, the new PSU, or the windows update,... or a combination of the above. Nonetheless, I attached the minidump to this reply.

Attachments

• 092316-5593-01.dmp
    263.5 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:
Back