Windows 10 Full Install of Windows 10 on an Upgraded Machine

telemachus

Hello,

I upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10 on my Acer laptop during Microsoft's original free upgrade promotion in 2016. I'm finding that Windows 10 runs sluggishly on my computer - I've tried different things to try to make it run faster but to no avail. And no, my laptop is not slow because of viruses or malware.

So, I'm interested in wiping (i.e. format) my entire harddrive and doing a fresh Windows 10 install on the computer. I've already burned a Windows 10 installation ISO onto a dvd, but I'm wondering if the installation would work if my laptop had no trace of Windows 8 or 10 on it? Would it work if I did a Full Install of Windows 10 on a laptop that was originally a Windows 8 machine upgraded to Windows 10? I still have my Windows 8 key that came originally with the Acer laptop.

Thanks for any info.

Peter

When you first installed Windows 10, assuming you went through the setup and created a user account, it was registered with Microsoft's Dbase, with the motherboard. If you make a fresh install, in the initial stages, ignore the window requiring a key. When the installation is complete, you will find that it has been automatically activated. You will have no need for the windows 8 key.

Thanks so much for that info, very helpful.

When you first installed Windows 10, assuming you went through the setup and created a user account, it was registered with Microsoft's Dbase, with the motherboard. If you make a fresh install, in the initial stages, ignore the window requiring a key. When the installation is complete, you will find that it has been automatically activated. You will have no need for the windows 8 key.

Back
Top Bottom