Windows 7 Gadgets

jakerrulz

hey, i tried installing a gadget but nothing happened after i pressed "install". When i pressed it however, explorer.exe started to "multiply". I checked the task manager and there were 200+ explorer.exe processes running. the only way for me to stop them was to reboot my laptop. plz help!

To address the issue of multiple explorer.exe processes being generated upon attempting to install a gadget, follow these steps:

### Solution Steps:

1. Check for Malware:
- Perform a thorough antivirus scan to ensure your system is free of any malware that might be causing the abnormal behavior.

2. Check Gadget Compatibility:
- Verify that the gadget you are trying to install is compatible with your version of Windows to prevent such issues.

3. Restart in Safe Mode:
- Boot your laptop into Safe Mode and check if the issue persists. Press F8 during startup to access the Advanced Boot Options menu.

4. Check Startup Programs:
- Use Task Manager to review startup programs. Disable any suspicious or unnecessary programs set to start with Windows.

5. Explorer.exe Restart:
- If this issue occurs again, access the Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc), terminate all instances of explorer.exe, then go to File > Run new task, type explorer and hit Enter to restart it.

6. Windows Update:
- Ensure your system is up to date with the latest Windows updates. Check for pending updates and install them.

7. System File Checker:
- Run the System File Checker tool by opening Command Prompt as an administrator and entering sfc /scannow to scan for and repair any corrupted system files.

8. Clean Boot Windows:
- Perform a clean boot to start Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs to isolate potential software conflicts.

9. System Restore:
- Consider restoring your system to a point before the issue occurred using System Restore.

10. Avoid Unknown Gadgets:
- Exercise caution when installing gadgets. Only use gadgets from trusted sources to prevent similar problems.

Following these steps should help diagnose and resolve the issue with multiple explorer.exe processes being generated when trying to install a gadget.

Back