Windows 7 Getting keycodev2.dll error

Keycodev2.dll

• dll

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Win 7

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Mel

I have an Optiplex 3020 that was designed for Win 10. It has Win 7. When I try to print with Profitline software, I get a keycodev2.dll error. On older computers, I install, log in, and print. No issue. Is there a configuration that I'm missing or is it that the computer is also made for Win 10?

Hi and welcome to the forum :up:

It's more likely that you attempted an OS downgrade on a W10 computer that has W10-type hardware.:eek: Unless you called Dell first on the phone and asked their Support folks whether this was possible on your EXACT model (OptiPlex 3020), they cannot guarantee all apps or programs will run properly on it.:noway: In the case that you did call Dell support first and they said yes, it was down-gradable to W7, it could be a virus/malware problem, faulty RAM stick, or Hard Drive, or simply Windows corruption in the Registry. You would have to run virus scanning apps to remove all viruses, test your Hardware, and then possibly perform a Windows reset or reinstallation of the OS from factory Recovery Media or Recovery Partition to solve a problem such as this. (I'll provide you with a link to do so in a minute).

We would need to know whether or not you've made that call to Dell in order to proceed. Or you can follow the instructions in my link to sort it out yourself without ever responding back to us here: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar.

The fact that your app works with older computers, means that it could be a non-downgrade issue with the new Dell PC, or that the new PC is experiencing a virus infection, software failure, or a hardware failure or a combination of all three.

Best of luck,:encouragement:
Let us know how it goes.
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Thanks BigBearJedi - I was thinking the hardware thing. Profitline doesn't print on any of the Optiplex 3020s. It is so old it requires .NET Framework 1.1. - I got in touch with Dell Support. They chatted they only handle hardware issues and referred me to their pay-for-help software phone number. Don't think I'll do that yet. I also tried to run Profitline in compatibility mode with Win XP. Same error. Might need to update Profitline.

Good job, there, Mel on calling Dell. Did you ask them point blank about the W10-->W7 downgrade OS issue? Did the OptiPlex support that? If the Hardware doesn't support the OS downgrade to W7; you are fighting a losing battle I'm afraid.:waah: As of Aug. 2nd 2016, last month, Microsoft announced plans to change the kernel of W10 to work with new hardware improvements by the PC manufacturers such as Dell, Acer, HP, Asus, Toshiba, etc. This also means, that if your PC is brand new; built in 2015-2016, it may not be downgradeable from W10 AU update (came out Aug. 2nd) v1607 version either. That means that if your PC has W10 v1607 b14393.187, and you attempt to downgrade to W7 or even W8/8.1 that probably won't work.:down: Your PC seems to have been built between 2014 and 2015. You can determine the exact Build date from the Dell sticker on the back of the Tower case or on the bottom of the case where the rubber feet are. (sometimes on older Dells, they put the Service Tag sticker on the top of the Case. In most cases, it will be a Black Sticker with silver or white lettering on it.

Prior to contacting your software vendor, Profitline (if they are still in business), you should determine exactly what version of W10 you have installed on that OptiPlex PC. To do this, click on the Start button on W10 desktop, and then hit the <winlogo-key> + <R-key> simultaneously. This will bring up the RUN box. Next, type in the command <winver> without the "greater than" or "less than" brackets into the RUN box. It will return a W10 information box with the W10 version number and OS build number as here:
W10 WINVER CMD STUDIO540 9-17-16.JPG

Report back exactly what your W10 version and OS Build number is on your OptiPlex PC (shown in the Red Box).

This will help us to help you better. And it will be very useful if you call the Profitline support people or the Dell pay-per-incident software team. They will ask you to do this also, so it will save you some time (and money!).

Lastly, I agree with Dell, that if the Profitline software is so old that it was using Framework 1.1, that software is at least 10 years old maybe more, and that's very unlikely to be able to upgraded. If Profitline is still in business and you call them, most certainly they will tell you there is no upgrade if they do make a newer version for W7 or W10 and if they do it's so old they won't give you a discounted upgrade price; rather they will want to charge you full boat for the newer version. Since I'm not familiar with that software, could you tell us what it's purpose is? Perhaps one of us can tell you a software that could do the same thing that would be a replacement.

Thanks,
<<<BBJ>>>

BBJ - The computers were made in May and June of 2016. We ordered several of the Optiplex 3020s from Dell. Win 7 was loaded by Dell.

Slight progress. I used: secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose and then regsvr32 in the folder where the .dll is. So at least the keycodev2.dll is registered still getting the same error. (I couldn't register it yesterday.) I've read different options about where to place the .dll. I'll soon try placing it in System32 and SysWow to see what happens.

Thank you for your time.

That's good news and bad news. The bad news is that those model computers are made very close the Aug. 2nd hardware change over deadline.:ohno: My guess is that since Dell loaded W7 at the factory, the Motherboards on those computers are compatible with pre-AU (Anniversary Update, Aug. 2nd 2016) W10 as well as W7. :up: This could be bad news should you decide to install the post AU version of W10 onto those computers; they probably will still work, but maybe not. If you stick with the v1511 that came out last Aug. 2nd 2015 prior to your computers being built, you will most likely be Ok.

The Good news is that most modern computers built in the modern era (2009 or later), seem capable to run the AU update (v1607). But out of the 200 million people or so globally who are running W10; only 2 people have been able to get th AU update to install via Windows Update that are confirmed. Everyone else is being forced to perform Clean Installs of the AU update (v1607). My Sony laptop was built in 2008 and it failed the AU automatic update, I had to do a Clean Install to get to v1607 without problems.:insanity::alien:

What this means to you, is that your Profitline software may not run on the new W10 version (v1607) without doing Clean Installs from the W7 images pre-loaded by Dell at the factory on those machines.:( This would mean you'd have to spend considerable time rebuilding each of the 3020 machines by doing backup/restore of data, and reinstalling all the programs on each of them from scratch. Not sure why you have multiple 3020s, but is this for a business use or for use in a business network? This would complicate things further, but if you have like 30 of these computers, you could at least construct a Roaming Profile image load that could be installed to each computer from a server location on the network. That could save considerable time.

What about the Profitline software; what does it do?

<<<BBJ>>>

It's for a business. We are getting rid of thin clients and replacing them with the 3020s. And I was in error. Win 7 was installed here at work. Profitline is accounting software. Odd about the 3020s. I set up the users as local admins as I always do so that they could write a report to c:. With these computers, we had to give them full access to write the reports to C:

Problem solved. Normally I have to give Admin access on the computers and then install the software. With the new computers I have to do the same and give full access to C:. I also have to disable 'User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode'. Next, I was sent the wrong version of the software I was trying to install and wrong instructions. I'm assuming out limited budget company will have many issues putting Win 7 on Win 10 architecture. Thank you for your time BigBearJedi.

Back