GNU GRUB

scshober

Hi there, my computer won’t turn on and I’d appreciate some help. My computer will not turn on outside of a black screen with “minimal BASH-like line editing supported.”
I am not very technical, but I did as follows (per a YouTube video):

grub> ls
(hd0) (hd0,gpt4) (hd0,gpt3) (hd0,gpt2) (hd0,gpt1)
grub> ls (hd0,gpt2)/
sdr .disk/ .oem/ boot/ casper/ dists/ efi.factory/ factory/ install/ isolinux/ pool/ preseed/ [BOOT]/ md5sum.txt debs/ dell-canonical-estar-logo/ scripts/ summerplace/ bio.xml efi/ prepackage.dell updates/ upgrade/

Based on the information provided, it seems like you are experiencing an issue with the GRUB bootloader. The "minimal BASH-like line editing supported" message suggests that GRUB is unable to find the necessary files to boot your operating system.

To troubleshoot this issue, you can try the following steps:

1. First, try to identify which partition contains your operating system. From the `grub>` prompt, enter the command `ls`.
2. Take note of all the partitions listed. They are represented as `(hdX,gptY)`, where `X` and `Y` are numbers.
3. Once you have identified the partition that likely contains your operating system, you can use the `ls` command again to explore its content. For example, if your operating system is likely on `(hd0,gpt2)`, you can enter `ls (hd0,gpt2)/` to see what files and folders are present.
4. Look for any important system files, such as a kernel or boot folder, within the partition. These files are crucial for booting your system.
5. If you find the necessary files, you can manually boot into your operating system by entering specific commands. For example, you can try `set root=(hd0,gpt2)` followed by `linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2` (assuming `/dev/sda2` is the correct partition) and `initrd /initrd.img`, then `boot`. Note that the file names may vary depending on your setup.
6. If you are unsure about the partition or which files to use, you can run the `boot-info-script`. This script will generate a report with useful information about your system configuration. You can refer to the Ubuntu documentation for instructions on how to use it.

Please note that manually booting your system may be a temporary solution, and it is essential to address the underlying cause of the issue. It could be caused by a misconfiguration, corrupted files, or other factors. Consider seeking further assistance, such as from a technical support professional or the community forum for your specific operating system or distribution.

Back