Windows 10 GTX 1070 + 980Ti: Two Different GPUs Working Together

This is what my "Inspiron 15 7559" came with. I think they'e working in conjunction but I'm not sure. If they are how would that work? I think it probably uses the Intel for static display and the Nvidia for HD video. But that's just a guess on my part.

Update: I just remembered when I stress tested my hardware on the Dell Support site there were separate tests for both GPU's. The Intel was low speed and Nvidia was high. I think this might be a pretty good set-up because using the cheap Intel GPU means the price was lower.

Display Adapters.jpg

Last edited:
This is what my "Inspiron 15 7559" came with. I think they'e working in conjunction but I'm not sure. If they are how would that work? I think it probably uses the Intel for static display and the Nvidia for HD video. But that's just a guess on my part.

Update: I just remembered when I stress tested my hardware on the Dell Support site there were separate tests for both GPU's. The Intel was low speed and Nvidia was high. I think this might be a pretty good set-up because using the cheap Intel GPU means the price was lower.

View attachment 34980
Basically, the integrated Intel video is for the desktop and non-DirectX stuff. The NVIDIA GPU kicks in for 3D rendering and, as you said, other things, perhaps video. But you would be surprised, the integrated Intel video cards have become a lot stronger and most can render video at this point. The NVIDIA card is in there for GPU-intensive tasks such as gaming or rendering 3D models. Sadly, these cards are always a bit of a generation or two (or three) behind the cutting edge stuff like the 1080i. A big problem seems to be power consumption and miniaturization.

I should add that on much more "beefed-out" gaming laptops, these cards are extraordinarily better. I think the NVIDIA 1080 laptop version is supposed to be almost equivelent to the desktop card, but I could be wrong. So progress has been made in this area. But good luck getting a laptop with that card without breaking the bank!

Basically, the integrated Intel video is for the desktop and non-DirectX stuff. The NVIDIA GPU kicks in for 3D rendering and, as you said, other things, perhaps video. But you would be surprised, the integrated Intel video cards have become a lot stronger and most can render video at this point. The NVIDIA card is in there for GPU-intensive tasks such as gaming or rendering 3D models. Sadly, these cards are always a bit of a generation or two (or three) behind the cutting edge stuff like the 1080i. A big problem seems to be power consumption and miniaturization.

I should add that on much more "beefed-out" gaming laptops, these cards are extraordinarily better. I think the NVIDIA 1080 laptop version is supposed to be almost equivelent to the desktop card, but I could be wrong. So progress has been made in this area. But good luck getting a laptop with that card without breaking the bank!
Thanks for the explanation Mike. That's pretty much just what I expected. Because it was probably half the price of the extreme gaming rigs I fully expected it to be a few steps down in performance. But it's plenty hot enough for me. This is the first time I bought anything above a mid level computer. I added an SSD for the operating system and this thing is the fastest computer I've ever owned.

nice feeling isn't it
Yes it is. That's probably right about which card is handling the video. Maybe it's the display that's doing it but Netflix videos look just as good as my 1080p TV. On other computers I've had they had a tendency to look washed out. I'm wicked happy with this set-up.

Back